Artwork / Icons

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
chrisb

Re: Artwork / Icons

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 am

flopsy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 pm
If i understand you right, i think about "to use no tool at all in the icons, because its clear in path-wb everything is about tool/endmill ", too. But i think its a good look style to use it.
When agryson started reworking the icons I had proposed some icons and they all had a tool on them, but if we reduce the icons to their essentials (which is not a must) we can omit the tool. We are in Path WB and know that it is about tool paths.
I don't have any problems having the tools on the icons, it's just that the 16x16 icons become more clear without them.
flopsy

Postby flopsy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am

chrisb wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:11 am
I don't have any problems having the tools on the icons, it's just that the 16x16 icons become more clear without them.
Yes, the very small icon is what i think about, too.

I also try a bit to design a tool/endmill in freecad, but i fail till now...It really do not look like a endmill/tool at all at moment., don't know why at moment.
I got not so much experience with the sweeps and so on...
The goal of it is, to make it easy to make a view in tech-draw-wb/drawing-wb and make some explaining pictures. Also i will be complete parametric, so everyone here can "vote" for his favorite. (are you more like a 2 or a 4 flute cutter?)
Sadly I have no tool/endmill right here, because they all in my workshop.

maybe someone is quicker than me right now and maybe the file will help debug, cause it did crashed a few times during it. I will continue play with it...
chris
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2018-02-02_01-43-44.png
Bildschirmfoto_2018-02-02_01-43-44.png (234.65 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Mill-bitv2-4.fcstd
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
NormandC

Re: Path Artwork / Icons

Postby NormandC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 am

Hi flopsy,

Since this is a discussion specifically about Path icons, could you maybe add "Path" to your subject? Thanks.

EDIT: please ignore, I erroneously thought this topic was in the Wiki forum. :oops:
Last edited by NormandC on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
NormandC

Re: Path Artwork / Icons

Postby NormandC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 am

flopsy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am
The goal of it is, to make it easy to make a view in tech-draw-wb/drawing-wb and make some explaining pictures.
I'm working on the PartDesign command pages in the wiki, and I wanted to do exactly that, create my example images totally in FreeCAD using TechDraw. Unfortunately, I was missing callouts (a text note with an arrow), also it cannot create shaded views.

Lately I realized that the Save picture utility in the Tools menu can now save PNGs with a transparent background. I like this, I think it makes the images easier on the eye, rather than with the rather dark default FreeCAD background.

Here's one of the image I've done (from the PartDesign Boolean page):
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/File:Pa ... xample.png

My (rather involved) current process is
  1. Create a model in a FreeCAD document
  2. Save pictures
  3. Crop pictures in Gimp
  4. Import them in Inkscape
  5. Add text and arrows
  6. Export to PNG
I was thinking of adding the SVG files directly to the wiki rather than export to PNG; but the SVG is not fully vectorized because of the imported bitmaps. I tried to convert the bitmaps to paths (Path --> Trace Bitmap...), but with not much success.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am

flopsy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 am
I also try a bit to design a tool/endmill in freecad, but i fail till now...It really do not look like a endmill/tool at all at moment., don't know why at moment.
It looks perfectly like one of these Aluminium end mills!

maybe someone is quicker than me right now and maybe the file will help debug, cause it did crashed a few times during it. I will continue play with it...
The file you uploaded is different from the screenshot. Perhaps you can explain what all these helixes are for, especially tha small "Helix" at the bottom.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

Based on your design I created a more parametric mill:
In the DataTab you can change
- Sketch.Constraints.r for the radius of the mill. The shaft follows. If thats unwanted remove the expression of Cylinder.Radius
- Helix.Length
- Helix.Pitch
- PolarPattern.Occurrences. Expect long calculation times for big values (minutes for 6 flutes here)
- Cylinder.Height for the length of the shaft

Please note that no change of helix diameter is needed if the radius of the mill changes
I upload here a very short mill because that reduces size dramatically
Attachments
mill10mm.FCStd
(69.92 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
flopsy

Postby flopsy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am

NormandC wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 am
Here's one of the image I've done
Wow, thats is really looking good! :) perhaps the endmill-tool will be good for the wiki in a similar way..
chrisb wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am
The file you uploaded is different from the screenshot. Perhaps you can explain what all these helixes are for, especially tha small "Helix" at the bottom.
ups, don't know exactly why, but it seem to be the wrong file. Maybe i did overwrite it... sorry! here is the right one...
there was a lot try and error involved during the design, the small helix left in for no good reason, just because i'm to lazy and chaotic. I should more often clean up unnecessary thinks...
Chris
Attachments
Mill-bitv2-3.fcstd
(226.3 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:21 am

We could have a parametric "Show Tool" function in the Path WB Tool Manager.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:25 am

I have added this to issue #3336
flopsy

Postby flopsy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am
Based on your design I created a more parametric mill: (...)
Ups i over overlook this post till now...thanks...
I'm still on it, play with it...
my big problem is to make the crossing to the shaft. This really word censored my brain... :shock: