Clearance/Safe Heights: Global Per Job

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
bill

Clearance/Safe Heights: Global Per Job

Postby bill » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Are Clearance and Safe-Height Globally Held/Observed/Checked in the JOB-Environment so that the tool does not do "COLATTERAL DAMAGE" moving from one operation to another; as shown below?

Notice the Knick in the left-side waste and the left-edge of the circular-flat!

Whew !; good thing this was caught in simulation; thanks SHAISE!
RspctMinHtPerJob.png
RspctMinHtPerJob.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 573 times
JoshM

Re: Clearance/Safe Heights: Global Per Job

Postby JoshM » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 am

Hi Bill,
I'm guessing you pocketed the interior in one Op, then moved to another Op that caused the knick? If so, the Clearance/Safe heights on the 2nd Op are probably the issue--I'm pretty sure that Op#(n+0) S&Cheights exit the Op at the Op#(n+1) S&Cheights ...

Best,
Josh
bill

Postby bill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Hey Josh,
JoshM wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 am
Op#(n+0) S&Cheights exit the Op at the Op#(n+1) S&Cheights ...
Translation please :lol: : Im not familier with this dialect; been staying out of the Height discussions; see inconsistencies myself, other tools, etc.

Anyways, thanks for response!
JoshM

Postby JoshM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Op # n is the current Op,
Op # n + 1 is the next Op in the sequence.

If Op#1 moves to an inner pocket in a piece of metal that is 1" thick, and the pocket is 1/2" deep, then if you set the Safe/Clear heights for that, you have to ensure you can clear the 1" material. If the next job is in a separate/isolated area, that is at the same level as the inner pocket, but it has nothing surrounding it, you might be tempted to set the Safe/Clearance height for that 2nd Op based on it's local context, so, with Safe/Clearance adequate for 1/2" obstacles, but as you begin Op2, you are leaving Op1, and you have to pass a 1" obstacle.

I'm not sure that's what happened to you, just saying it could happen to someone and be confusing--but, it's never happened to me :oops: :lol: ....
bill

Postby bill » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Luckily, i simulate (shaise) everything now, Then execute, at ALTITUDE, on CNCmachine, before doing any real damage.

I was just curious about Clearance/Safe Heights in general.

Thanks again!