dressup minor issues

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
JoshM

dressup minor issues

Postby JoshM » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm

I just ran an aluminum job and used Ramp dress-up on it. One thing that I noticed that surprised me was that the Ramp-Angle is specified relative to the Tool, not the Job, and so if I want to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.

I also mistakenly started to use a LeadInOut instead of a RampEntry dressup, and noticed it has a mispelled parameter: "Mashine CRC"

Best,
Josh
chrisb

Re: dressup minor issues

Postby chrisb » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pm

JoshM wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm
One thing that I noticed that surprised me was that the Ramp-Angle is specified relative to the Tool, not the Job, and so if I want to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.
Is there a common way to define the ramp entry angle among different tool suppliers? Then Path should use it in the same way.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JoshM

Postby JoshM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 am

I’m not sure. I picked up my bias from previous software, but it seemed counter-intuitive to me that 0-degrees should be the steepest ramp entry angle.
herbk

Postby herbk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 am

Hi Chris,
chrisb wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:03 pm
Is there a common way to define the ramp entry angle among different tool suppliers?
[/quote]

I don't understand the question... What dos have the tool supplier to do with the ramp entry?
Gruß Herbert
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:38 am

JoshM wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:00 am
I picked up my bias from previous software, but it seemed counter-intuitive to me that 0-degrees should be the steepest ramp entry angle.
I could argue that straight down is what you really want, so 0° is no deviation from the target. Let's see what the experts say.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk

Postby herbk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 am

Here a link which show's and explanes it very detailed:
https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/ ... Country=gb
Gruß Herbert
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:09 am

In an older forum post about ramping I found this link http://shop.lmt-tools.de/media/import/l ... lungen.pdf which supports your view: 0° means no ramping at all, 90° means going straight into the material.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:44 am

Same with Coromant tools: https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/_layou ... 7&lt=false page I17, parameter RMPX.
There is another interesting general document from Coromant: Training Handbook - Metal Cutting Technology
bill

Postby bill » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm

This is a MAJOR minor issue.
JoshM wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:46 pm
to specify a Steep Ramp, I approach 0-Deg, and for a Shallow Ramp, I approach 90-Deg. This seems counter-intuitive to me.
The RAMP, which is defined as an angle (alpha degrees - also commonly called the angle-of-attack) is chosen not to exceed the end-mill (tool) concave/dish/cutting edge profile; or whatever one calls this tool feature. This applies to dead-center tools (not cutting edge on center axis) which are most common.
from Sandvik:
alpha-angleofattack.jpg
alpha-angleofattack.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 636 times
This is why TABs Dress-Up is not as simple as one would believe. The approach to a tab is trivial-path, whereas exitting a tab is a little more complex and should be inversely-similar to the picture above.
polymer

Postby polymer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:55 pm

The Tool-Library definitely needs two extra options: ramp angle and min. diameter for helical ramping.

Both depends from the geometry of the tool.