B slpine engraving operation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
halotarget360

B slpine engraving operation

Post by halotarget360 »

I'm attempting to run an engraving operation based on a SVG generated B spline but get null tool path and the dialog on the lower bar states "Not Allowed:" followed by a seemingly random edge designation depending on where the mouse is at the time. I've attempted the operation in as many ways as I can think, any advise would be appreciated.

Windows 10 64
freecad 0.17
chrisb
Veteran

Re: B slpine engraving operation

Post by chrisb »

halotarget360 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 am I'm attempting to run an engraving operation based on a SVG generated B spline
I think engraving works only on ShapeStrings. You might rather use a Contour path without compensation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
halotarget360

Post by halotarget360 »

So forgive me if this should be obvious, I had a hiatus from freecad and have not become entirely familiar with 0.17. Is there a reasonable way to generate a shapstring from an svg? The shape I'm using is to complex to trace with good results.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

The constraints for engrave are not obvious, and I'm not aware of any conversation of a generic path to a ShapeString. Using a Profile might indeed be your best option. Is there a chance you can post your design so we can play with it?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

halotarget360 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:00 pm So forgive me if this should be obvious, I had a hiatus from freecad and have not become entirely familiar with 0.17. Is there a reasonable way to generate a shapstring from an svg? The shape I'm using is to complex to trace with good results.
You can create a font from an SVG using fontforge.
Or you set Parameters->Preferences->Mod->Path->EnableExperimentalFeatures to true and try Path->SupplementalCommands->FromShape
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
halotarget360

Post by halotarget360 »

While it is certainly rough, the from shape command gets it close enough to hand edit. You sir have my extreme gratitude
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

halotarget360 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 pm While it is certainly rough, the from shape command gets it close enough to hand edit. You sir have my extreme gratitude
You're welcome. The "From Shape" should follow exactly the contour, where do you have defects making it rough?