Missing Gcode to turn spindle on

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ericg

Missing Gcode to turn spindle on

Post by ericg »

Hi, I just wanted to ask a simple question,
when I read the Gcode for any of my operations, I do not have the command showing to turn the spindle on (M03) or the spindle speed setting S10000 (or whatever).

It's easy enough to add them, but I was curious as to why they are not there? (bug or feature?)

I also noticed on a job I cut earlier today, the spindle speed rpm kept changing from 20k to 25k (25K is what I had set), it ran at 20k while horizontal cutting but 25K while vertical plunging??

The job is very simple, only 2 operations, 1 circular pocket and the contour cut, both cut with a 5mm HSS end tool (the default tool)

Any suggestions or have I missed something?

regards,

Eric
Router Clamp.fcstd
(46.74 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13721 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: afdd30b137cdfd096c61c4aee270025115d0f8d6
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Missing Gcode to turn spindle on

Post by mlampert »

ericg wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 pm when I read the Gcode for any of my operations, I do not have the command showing to turn the spindle on (M03) or the spindle speed setting S10000 (or whatever).

It's easy enough to add them, but I was curious as to why they are not there? (bug or feature?)
Turning on the spindle and it's speed is done by the ToolController which gets inserted by the driver for the post processor. Individual ops don't have pre-ambles, setups or post-ambles.
I also noticed on a job I cut earlier today, the spindle speed rpm kept changing from 20k to 25k (25K is what I had set), it ran at 20k while horizontal cutting but 25K while vertical plunging??
This must be something your machine controller does. I checked the resulting g-code and it does not include a directive for 20k rpm.

The only odd thing I noticed is that there are`M6` and `M3` commands for each op although it's the same TC.
EDIT: created issue #3490 for the TC issue.
ericg

Post by ericg »

thanks for the reply
You stated
The only odd thing I noticed is that there are`M6` and `M3` commands for each op although it's the same TC.
As I said, I do not see any M3, M6 or Sxxx commands in the post processed code, I do have the spindle speed set in the TC, how come you see them?

Eric
ericg

Post by ericg »

My Bad,

forget all above (except multiple M6 T1 code), I have been exporting other files to STL for 3D printing and I exported the gcode instead of using the post process icon, DUH!

thanks for the support

Eric