how take a part of Contour?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
arimak

how take a part of Contour?

Post by arimak »

I've got a material which is already with width (and thickness) of my model. So I don't need do all contour path around my model, just a simple linear cut on the one longest side of the model (on the right side with the green face). How can I generate the path?
Attachments
fcpathcont001.jpg
fcpathcont001.jpg (269.19 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
herbk
Veteran

Re: how take a part of Contour?

Post by herbk »

Hi and welcome to the Freead Forum,

atm it dosn't work... :(

As workaround i use a "helper bottom" and Pocket.
Gruß Herbert
arimak

Post by arimak »

I use probably something similar for now. I do an extra modified model, see figure.
Bad on it is, that it do twice longer paths, but still it's better than full contour around model. I use tool single flute 3.175mm (1/8"), the extra pocket must be then something like 3.18mm width. and FC Path generates then 2 paths in one level :(
Attachments
fcpathcont002.jpg
fcpathcont002.jpg (162.11 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I remember faintly something with a feature area, but haven't worked with it yet nor can I find the corresponding posts at the moment.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I found what I had been looking for: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 33#p205282.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have tried to get a result with the feature area, however,nothing happened, I simply had no visible effect. It is possible that this doesn't work anymore, but I am not sure. So please, can someone tell me more, preferably showing how to mill only half of the attached contour. I am willing to document it, but I need help to learn how it works.

I attach this very simple project, because it is a bit easier to download it than to recreate it:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-24 um 00.45.36.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-06-24 um 00.45.36.png (11.37 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
halfContour.FCStd
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Chris,
atm i don't know any way to get a partial path without the workaround i wrote above.

Feature area i never got a result if i tried, so i don't realy know how to use it...
Gruß Herbert
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

herbk wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 pm Feature area i never got a result if i tried, so i don't realy know how to use it...
Thanks anyway for trying.
arimak

Post by arimak »

Anyway thank you Herb for inspiring me with that bottom helper, I was trying using it in a few models, and I think it's at least solving it partly... :geek:

Now I'd like to find how to do just one path in one level... ;)
Attachments
fcpathcont003.jpg
fcpathcont003.jpg (249.7 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

If you want a single level you should be able to adjust the start depth, final depth, and stepdown to get a single path where you want it. The key is to override the automatic depths that are placed in the operation by default. You can either make the overrides in the Job SetupSheet or in the Depths section of the task panel.

Gene