How to create a job for multiple holes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
micksulley

How to create a job for multiple holes

Post by micksulley »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13959 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 2f18182b6dff87f8857787c854e39ca4d441f993
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

I have created a plate with a matrix of counterbored holes (attached). What I would like to do is create a job which uses a 5mm tool to pocket the holes (7mm dia) and the 19mm counterbore.
I have manages to do that but I think there must be a better way, 2 issues -
1) I have 60 holes and I only know how to do it by adding each hole into the Base Geometry for each hole and each counterbore. Is there a way to select them all?
2) From the simulation it is going to do a first level cut on each hole in turn, then go back and do a second level cut, etc. Is there a way to perform all cuts on the first hole, then move to the second, etc

Thanks
Mick
Attachments
HoleTest2.fcstd
(92.15 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: How to create a job for multiple holes

Post by sliptonic »

Rather than select the individual faces of the holes, select the top face for the counterbore and the bottom face for the through-hole.

Updated file attached.
Attachments
HoleTest2.fcstd
(109.44 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you want to drill the holes you can use the PathArray, at least in one dimension.
In the attached example I linked offset and number of copies to the LinearPattern.

It would be great if it was possible
- either be able to define the copies in three dimensions
- or be able to create PathArray of PathArray
Attachments
HoleTest_CB.fcstd
(72.51 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 am Rather than select the individual faces of the holes, select the top face for the counterbore and the bottom face for the through-hole.

Updated file attached.
Thanks for your reply, your updated file does exactly what I want, but I still cannot reproduce it myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bottom face for the through hole. I have selected the inside surface of the hole from underneath, which has the same effect as before, I have selected the bottom edge of the hole, but that does nothing. Can you explain what you mean by the bottom face?

How do you select all of the holes? I see in your file that both operation have only one entry in Base Geometry, but they operate on all of the holes. How?

Cheers
Mick
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To investigate you open an existing model, edit a path operation and open the Base Geometry tab. There you have a list of faces or other geometry. Select an item from the list and it will highlight in 3D view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

Thanks Chris, now I've got it! I had assumed that to create the hole cut operation I had to select the hole, just hadn't realised I could select the face and use the Process Holes & Process Circles check boxes. Also your tip about selecting the geometry makes things a lot clearer.

Mick
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

micksulley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:52 pm
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:51 am Rather than select the individual faces of the holes, select the top face for the counterbore and the bottom face for the through-hole.

Updated file attached.
Thanks for your reply, your updated file does exactly what I want, but I still cannot reproduce it myself.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bottom face for the through hole. I have selected the inside surface of the hole from underneath, which has the same effect as before, I have selected the bottom edge of the hole, but that does nothing. Can you explain what you mean by the bottom face?

How do you select all of the holes? I see in your file that both operation have only one entry in Base Geometry, but they operate on all of the holes. How?

Cheers
Mick
I'm not selecting the edge of the hole but the entire bottom face. The profile from face options can be set to process holes and circles but not the outside perimeter of the face.