New approach to Tool and Op editors.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

New approach to Tool and Op editors.

Post by mlampert »

When creating the editor for the chamfer op I struggled with finding good screen names for the parameters. Naming the property is hard enough but then finding a label in the editor. I found it much easier to show a little diagram and just use the symbols.

I've taken a similar approach for the specialized Tool editors that are currently supported, Endmill and Engraver. They only expose the set of the internal parameters that are relevant for the tool and also directly use the symbols from the diagram for the editor.

Please consider this an experiment, see if you like it or not, what you like, what you would like ....

Also, my artistic skills and inkscape mastery are quite limited leaving a huge potential for improvement of the little tool and op images. That's why I left them directly accessible outside the code base, look under 'Path/Images' .... and have fun!
roivai

Re: New approach to Tool and Op editors.

Post by roivai »

I think the idea is great!

When used as a separate dialog it looks good but as a task dialog, with default panel width, the usability is not too great. input boxes for D and H are too narrow.. Also, the panel has a vertical scroll bar even though there would be tons of space below the panel..?

2018-07-09-075943_1920x1080_scrot.png
2018-07-09-075943_1920x1080_scrot.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 810 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:19 am Please consider this an experiment, see if you like it or not, what you like, what you would like ....
I like it and I think it's the best way to avoid ambiguity.

Is this - and the new chamfer function - implemented in python? Then I could fool my slightly outdated MacOS version which is stuck at 13976.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:28 amI like it and I think it's the best way to avoid ambiguity.
Is this - and the new chamfer function - implemented in python? Then I could fool my slightly outdated MacOS version which is stuck at 13976.
Yes - I try to do everything in python to make all the new features accessible for everyone.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

roivai wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:06 am When used as a separate dialog it looks good but as a task dialog, with default panel width, the usability is not too great. input boxes for D and H are too narrow.. Also, the panel has a vertical scroll bar even though there would be tons of space below the panel..?
I could not figure out how to properly size the images. First I drew them to size and ended up with dots in the task panel. If you check the SVG files they are blown up to A4 size which - in my case - caused them to be rendered just about right.