Strange behaviour with array of counterbored holes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
micksulley

Strange behaviour with array of counterbored holes

Post by micksulley »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.13959 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 2f18182b6dff87f8857787c854e39ca4d441f993
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

I have a board with an array of counterbored holes (attached). As it is it works fine, however if I change the counterbore from 18.3 dia to 18.2 dia, the counterbores move up by 2 spaces after recalculation, change it to 18.1 and they move up by 2 and right by 5.
Changing the diameter of the hole seems to work fine, just the counterbore that causes the strange behaviour.
Doing some investigation both of the pocket operations have the bottom left hole as the base geometry, Base-Body.Face114 in the case of the counterbore. If I change the counterbore to 18.2 the base geometry is still Base-Body.Face114 but this has now moved up by 2 spaces, which I guess is why the others move up as well.
The drawing is fine, everything still where it should be, but the counterbore operation are moving.
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
Mick
Attachments
BaseBoardv4.fcstd
(95.43 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Strange behaviour with array of counterbored holes

Post by chrisb »

Sketch001 seems to be unattached and you probably ran into the so called topological naming issue. To avoid this attach Sketch001 to the XY plane; that should help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

Hi Chris,
I had not heard of the topological naming issue, but I have done some research and yes it sounds like that is the problem.
Looking at the Dependency graph, both Sketch and Sketch001 have arrows to the XY_Plane, does that not mean they are attached?.
I have tried Part Design > Map sketch to face, to map Sketch001 to ObjectXY and but this results in Sketch001 having the blue tick showing that it needs to be recomputed, but recompute does not clear it. Also the original problem still exists.

I have a workaround in that I can delete the object geometry and add it again as the hole at bottom left, but I wanted to understand what was happening. I guess it will get resolved one day.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have reattached Sketch001, recompute worked and everything seems fine. The usage of Job seems to garble the dependency graph.
Attachments
BaseBoardv4_cb.fcstd
(74.55 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

I just downloaded your file and I see the same problem, change the hole counterbore from 18.2 to 18.2 dia and when it recomputes it has moved the counterbores up 2 spaces, see attached.

How did you reattach to the XY plane? I can see in your file that the axis is visible but can't see how you did it.

Thanks for your help
Mick
Attachments
BaseBoardv4_cb_18.2dia.fcstd
(92.61 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Finally I understand the problem. I had thought that your base object was the problem, but you have issues with the Job. Currently there is no chance to change this, because you have to select faces, and faces show the topo naming issues. What you can try, is to model only one of the holes and take that body as base object for the job. PathArray does not need the other holes.

Attaching something to one of the principal planes works in the same way as for faces, you have of course to make them visible, and I forgot to hide them again.
- Make origin visible
- select the principal plane of your desire
- map a sketch to that plane
- make origin invisible