Sorted Drills

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Packmers

Sorted Drills

Post by Packmers »

Hi
i've to drill different size's on one board, sometimes more then 500 drill with 3-4 sizes.
How can I sort the, when I select the face i got them all but without any order.
Thx
Packmers...
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sorted Drills

Post by chrisb »

Packmers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:36 pm i've to drill different size's on one board, sometimes more then 500 drill with 3-4 sizes.
How can I sort the, when I select the face i got them all but without any order.
Hi Packmers, welcome to the forum. I don't think that it is possible, but you can create 4 clones of your base object and model the holes separately. Then you can create a separate job for each of the clones.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Packmers

Post by Packmers »

Hi Chris
thank you for your Idea.
It's possible to get the different Drill-G-Files, but I've to separate them by Hand.
There is some ideas i have:
- the Base Geometry-List should sort the entries by Pressing the Diameter-"Button", so its easy to remove the "wrong" holes
- or the Drill takes only diameters of the selected Tool-size (this makes sense, or not?) :roll:
packmers wieder...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Packmers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm There is some ideas i have:
- the Base Geometry-List should sort the entries by Pressing the Diameter-"Button", so its easy to remove the "wrong" holes
Good proposal
- or the Drill takes only diameters of the selected Tool-size (this makes sense, or not?) :roll:
Not good proposal. Of course the drill must not be bigger than the hole - and I think PathWB checks this -, but you might well start with a center bore where you want to drill holes of all (larger or equal) diameter.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
roivai

Post by roivai »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm
Packmers wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm There is some ideas i have:
Good proposal
Yes it is. I am pretty sure it was possible at some point, maybe something got lost when the refactoring of all Path Ops was done. I will create a PR. Currently, clicking the vertical header ("Diameter" for example) selects the whole column. I don't think that has any practical uses so replacing that with sorting seems reasonable.
Not good proposal. Of course the drill must not be bigger than the hole - and I think PathWB checks this -, but you might well start with a center bore where you want to drill holes of all (larger or equal) diameter.
I am kind of agreeing with the original idea. It would be nice to have a way to drill only the holes that have the same diameter as the tool. This thread is a great example of the need for that. It should not be the default option maybe though. One problem is that the method used to get the diameter of the hole (boundinbox width) is rather inaccurate so there would have to be loose tolerances for matching the holes with the tool diameter.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

roivai wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:24 am It would be nice to have a way to drill only the holes that have the same diameter as the tool.
I fully agree with that as the standard option.
Packmers

Post by Packmers »

would be great, if it could be implemented. :D
packmers...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:08 am I fully agree with that as the standard option.
OK, as long as that does not become the only option. I often abuse the FreeCAD Path workbench by doing things like intentionally drilling the wrong size holes.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm OK, as long as that does not become the only option. I often abuse the FreeCAD Path workbench by doing things like intentionally drilling the wrong size holes.
I support this. Automatism is great, overriding it is even greater.
roivai

Post by roivai »

PR for making the list sortable.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1581

Quickly tested and it works as supposed. Is anyone able to spot any side effects of this?