Adaptive Path/CAM Operation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
herbk
Veteran

Re: Adaptive Path/CAM Operation

Post by herbk »

At my system it still works like expected with

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15592 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a7c0f4bc5b62ec304a5855796ca3d10a42c7a46e
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

and

Version: 0.18.15593 (Git) AppImage
Hash: 6efd6de4c18e768f0bc38d9e4a1bd7ad4e66e802
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Gruß Herbert
kreso-t

Post by kreso-t »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 pm
kreso-t wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 am So the problem seem to be in the C++ code. As it does not seem to reproduce on Linux and Windows
mlampert had the same issue on Linux: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p277776
I don't have access to Mac (and also I don't have much experience with it) so it is difficult for me to find the cause of the problem. I can maybe try to borrow Mac for a few days but need to know first how to setup FreeCAD build environment on OS X.
The MacOS build process seems to be out of whack anyway. That's why we don't get regularly updates for MacOS .

I will send a MacMini to user looo, so he can work on it. Perhaps he can send the MacMini to you once he is finished. Where do you live?
I live in Croatia. I got access to MacMini today for few hours but the builds/releases currently on the GitHub did not work, there were problems already with opening the Path workbench. And on Linux I can not reproduce the issue, I played a lot with the attached models but the issue did not appear. Using:

Version: 0.18.15619 (Git)
Hash: 7d8e5662648b794b5c93e28835a2bf5c1fddffec
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
jurij

Post by jurij »

I might have a way to reproduce the problem. I've done the following using FreeCAD Version: 0.18.15619 (Git) AppImage.

1) Install fresh Fedora 29 distribution. CORRECT PATH.
2) Install all updates for Fedora 29 ( dnf update ). WRONG PATH.
3) Downgrade glibc packages ( dnf downgrade glibc ). CORRECT PATH.

So the problem might be with glibc library.
routalot

Post by routalot »

I lack the knowledge to answer the questions relating to this topic.I would like to thank the developers for providing a great feature and its one I have been exploring in the last few days.I have used adaptive toolpaths for a few pocketing operations and they definitely do a very nice job and the cleanup around the periphery means that unlike a pocketing operation,I don't have to add a profiling operation to achieve the same result.

I have been trying a few other things and found that 3D surfaces are almost possible for me.I wasn't expecting to be so fortunate but I do have a couple of questions.I hope the images will show what I tried and it isn't something I need to produce-simply a test object.
adaptive toolpath_inside.jpg
adaptive toolpath_inside.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
adaptive toolpath_outside.jpg
adaptive toolpath_outside.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
One is constrained to the inside of the surfaces and one to the outside.My questions are 1-could I import say an >stl file of the workpiece instead of the default box object?2-could I select the centre of the tool as the object to remain limited to the boundaries of the surfaces? I did a quick search for information about importing other objects and it seemed not to be possible in the past-has anything changed with more recent versions and updates?This looks so promising as a line of development.

Version: 0.18.15694 (Git)
Hash: 96dee91d5e7d7fd37f43a4dcf406a120ae1f1b8a
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
kreso-t

Post by kreso-t »

Hi,

I'll try to answer:
routalot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:45 pm ...
My questions are
1-could I import say an >stl file of the workpiece instead of the default box object?
currently only cylinder and box are supported as stock model for adaptive op

routalot wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:45 pm 2-could I select the centre of the tool as the object to remain limited to the boundaries of the surfaces?
not sure if I fully understand this question - however current implementation of adaptive is essentially 2d operation so it does not work with surfaces, you can only use edges (their projection to XY plane) to define tool boundary.

BR,
kreso
kreso-t

Post by kreso-t »

jurij wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:24 pm I might have a way to reproduce the problem. I've done the following using FreeCAD Version: 0.18.15619 (Git) AppImage.

1) Install fresh Fedora 29 distribution. CORRECT PATH.
2) Install all updates for Fedora 29 ( dnf update ). WRONG PATH.
3) Downgrade glibc packages ( dnf downgrade glibc ). CORRECT PATH.

So the problem might be with glibc library.
Hi Jurij,

I tried this procedure, but no luck, I get correct path before and after "dnf update".

BR,
Kreso
routalot

Post by routalot »

My thanks to kreso-t for an answer.Some of it confirms what I had expected regarding workpiece geometry.My enquiry about the part of the tool that is calculated as being within the boundary area of the surface derives from my experience with Mastercam as there was a check box that allowed the tool centre line to be used as the entity that had to be limited to travelling within the X-Y limits of the selected surface.The same possibility existed when operating within a selected boundary area and this was handy when using a small tool to clean up an area that couldn't be successfully machined with a tool that was appropriate for the rest of the operation.I found this a particularly useful option.

I think it shows what a great job the developers of the Path workbench have done that we are now able to make use of so many great machining strategies and I am making comparisons with Mastercam.I keep installing daily updates and enjoy finding the addtional items that appear.My thanks to the people responsible.
kreso-t

Post by kreso-t »

routalot wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm ... there was a check box that allowed the tool centre line to be used as the entity that had to be limited to travelling within the X-Y limits of the selected surface
This sounds to me like an option to switch off the tool radius compensation (i.e. in order to use G41 or G42 in the machine controller)? If so, you can perhaps get that by making offset shape (i.e. by distance equal to tool radius) and use it as tool boundary - I know it's not very practical solution but if you don't need that very often it may be OK approach.

BR,
K.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kreso-t wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:53 pm This sounds to me like an option to switch off the tool radius compensation
Other tools like ProfileFaces have a checkbox "Use compensation".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi,
chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 pm I have created a very simple example showing the issue with a cube and a rectangular pocket. It might help to find the error.
I'm setting up a new laptop with

Version: 0.18.16027 (Git) AppImage
Hash: ad28ba509579d11ac1c6966dedaa70eb6476182b
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2

and a old problem comes up...
path_tnw.jpg
path_tnw.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
I still dont have that at OpenSuse 42.3 and AppImage 0.18 16065. At the 15.1 the "not conda" Appimage don*t work, so i can't check with it...

Also i can't move the view of the object (by clicking the mouse wheel and move) if this kind of path is created. If i delete it moving works like it should.
Gruß Herbert