PathArea ignores step-over on final loop

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

PathArea ignores step-over on final loop

Post by mlampert »

I just milled a PocketShape with type Offset and a 80% step-over - and ended up with a ridge in the middle. As it turns out PathArea ignores the step over for the last inner loop:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (2.52 KiB) Viewed 422 times
The image shows the path of the inner 3 loops, you can clearly see that the mid section is wider than the step over for the other loops.
realthunder wrote:ping
realthunder
Veteran

Re: PathArea ignores step-over on final loop

Post by realthunder »

This is because the last loop with 80% stepover generate nothing. ClipperLib cannot collapse a loop into a line, which is a feature I also want. So, for this pocketing case, how about I add another parameter, LastStepOver, default to 50%, only applying to offset type of pocket?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I'm not sure I understand the implications of your suggestion.

I played around and managed to create some serious ridges where the opening of the last loop is wider than the tool being used - which should not happen if I understand your explanation correctly.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

I submit a PR for this. You can try my branch at here.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal