Using TOOL-Change

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Using TOOL-Change

Post by mlampert »

micksulley wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:49 pm I am just testing Tool Change with bCNC. Using grbl as the post processor and I would like FreeCAD to generate g-code which includes the M6 tool change command, currently it is commented out.
When we added the grbl post processor bCNC had no support for tool change and grpl itself chokes on it. If you get this to work it would be great if you could report back and we add support into the next version.
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

Thank you both, I have it working now, it was a fairly simple change. Had to put the new file in .FreeCAD/Macro

Mick
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

Further update. I have done some more testing and bCNC ToolChange rocks!!
I believe that FreeCAD should be changed to accommodate this by either
- for grbl have an option to generate M6 or not in the preferences screen
or
- have an additional grbl_toolchange post processor
Not sure which would be better, either would work for me.

I found the info on the subject a bit sketchy so I started to make my own notes, then I thought I may as well do the job properly and create a document, which is attached. Hope it helps someone.
Attachments
ToolChangeV01.doc
(824.5 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No *.doc reader here, so I'm a bit guessing. If you can switch the toolchange with a commandline parameter both variants can live in one version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

Once PR-1621 is merged there is a new option for the grbl post processor

Code: Select all

--tool-change=x
where x can be any of
  • 0 ... no tool change emitted (current behaviour and the default)
  • 1 ... M6 emitted for each TC in use
  • 2 ... M6 emitted for each TC change, which means no M6 for the first TC but one for each TC after that
Let me know how it works

PS: and if you figure out how to add line breaks into tooltips that are set from python - please also let me know
micksulley

Post by micksulley »

That sounds like a really good addition!

Just looked at PR-1621 and it says it is merged, however I just downloaded the latest AppImage, revision 14448, and can't see anything in there for tool change. Has it not made it through to AppImage yet?
Packmers

Post by Packmers »

Hi
finaly I found how it works, but I find it strange:
To get the tool-change it's necessary to select the tools additional to the operations, when I start the post-processor,
after this it implements the tool-change and the Spindle-Speed.
But its not 100% sorted.
For my understandig, it should be enough to select the operations, because the tool- information is there too, and its in the right order.

How should it operate?

Greetings
PACKMERS :roll: