Creating CNC roughing and finishing passes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
prius06

Creating CNC roughing and finishing passes

Post by prius06 »

Hi guys,

I am very new to CAD and CAM, so please forgive me if I am asking questions that sound stupid or may have been answered before. I built a CNC machine. Well, I actually bought a frame and connected it to an Arduino Uno flashed with grbl. Now I can finally play with designing small objects and cutting them out of wood or plastic and most recently out of machinable wax...

What I am trying to do next is to create several paths starting with a larger tool for rough shaping and when I get withing a mm or so from the final creation switch to a smaller end mill for a finishing pass that should look similar to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAkY9mBA4U

For that purpose I started with a cube and a semi-sphere attached to it and tried the various paths available in the path workbench but they all created lots of passes with fixes Z axis and cutter moving strictly horizontally. I would like the finishing pass move end to end in a zigzag pattern while the Z axis follows the relief (just like in the video above).

Sorry I am not using the right terminology but as I said before, this is all very new to me.

Thanks for developing FreeCAD and hope to join you one day. I am actually a software engineer but my professional work is completely unrelated to CAD and CAM software.
prius06

Re: Creating CNC roughing and finishing passes

Post by prius06 »

I think I almost found what I was looking for...

I enabled path experimental features as described here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_experimental
And finally saw the 3DSurface as a Path option. The drop-cutter pattern seems to be what I was asking for but there is still one thing that I am missing in this path - the ability to set overlap (step over percent).

Is there a way to define overlapping between the multiple passes the cutter is doing?

Thanks!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

prius06 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:43 pm I think I almost found what I was looking for...

I enabled path experimental features as described here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Path_experimental
And finally saw the 3DSurface as a Path option. The drop-cutter pattern seems to be what I was asking for but there is still one thing that I am missing in this path - the ability to set overlap (step over percent).

Is there a way to define overlapping between the multiple passes the cutter is doing?

Thanks!
Not from the task panel but there's a step-over percent property.
snap1.png
snap1.png (59.22 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
prius06

Post by prius06 »

Is this new?

All I have in my version (13528 (Git)) under Surface is "Sample Interval"
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Ah. You didn't include your freecad info but I should have assumed you might be using the 0.17 release. What I showed is in the current development branch for 0.18. Sorry.
prius06

Post by prius06 »

sliptonic wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:52 pm Ah. You didn't include your freecad info but I should have assumed you might be using the 0.17 release. What I showed is in the current development branch for 0.18. Sorry.
That's fine. Are there plans to release that soon? If not, is the dev branch available as windows installable?

Thanks
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

prius06 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm That's fine. Are there plans to release that soon? If not, is the dev branch available as windows installable?
We are hoping to release 0.18 by the end of the year.
No installer, but there are portable builds available: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
Just unzip the file (you'll need https://www.7-zip.org/) and run FreeCAD.exe from the bin sub-directory of the extracted directory. The dev version can exist side by side with 0.17 installed version.
A request would be to use the py3 version "FreeCAD_0.18.14451_Conda_Py3QT5-WinVS2016_x64.7z" to increase PY3 testing/bug-reporting, but a PY2 version is also available "FreeCAD_0.18.14451_x64_dev_win.7z" The exact version is updated regularly.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

prius06 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:43 pm That's fine. Are there plans to release that soon? If not, is the dev branch available as windows installable?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre
0.18 seems to be as stable as 0.17. The release is due end of the year, no exact date is fixed yet.

Edit: hadn't seen that sgrogan had already answered.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
prius06

Post by prius06 »

Thanks very much for the help!
prius06

Post by prius06 »

I guess I am getting closer but... now I am getting
"This operation requires OpenCamLib to be installed"

And based on the Github instructions I have to rebuild it after installing Python .... and Boost...

Is there a shortcut to get the ocl.pyd from somewhere so it can be installed in Freecad?

Thanks