Creating CNC roughing and finishing passes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Creating CNC roughing and finishing passes

Post by chrisb »

It's more than a python file, it's a complete library. If you install it on Ubuntu make sure you don't follow the general Linux or Debian advice but the special Ubuntu guide.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
prius06

Post by prius06 »

I only have a windows box at this time.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

prius06 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 am I only have a windows box at this time.
It seems to be available for windows as well: https://github.com/aewallin/opencamlib/ ... er/Windows.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
prius06

Post by prius06 »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am]It seems to be available for windows as well: https://github.com/aewallin/opencamlib/ ... er/Windows.
I saw this but there are a number of dependencies.

I do not see that mentioned explicitly but it looks like in addition to python and boost I would also need to install Microsoft Visual studio. Is that correct? If so, is the free community edition good enough?

BTW I have cygwin installed with both python and c++. Would that allow me to build opencamlib?

Thanks!
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am It seems to be available for windows as well:
That link did not work for me, but it may have been improved over the past couple of years.

What did work was the prescription in the following thread:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19205

One problem to be addressed in the near future is that OCL is currently built around Python 2.7. With the upcoming FreeCAD switch to Python 3.x the OCL sources will need to be adjusted.

Since the license for OCL has recently been changed to be fully compatible with FreeCAD it should become possible to distribute fully compiled versions of ocl.pyd with FreeCAD.

Gene
prius06

Post by prius06 »

Thank you. I will try that...
prius06

Post by prius06 »

Looking back at what I did earlier...

Is this the same library that 0.17 is using?

As I wrote earlier I enabled the experimental features there and was able to get the 3DSurface path to work and it should be using OCL. I was just missing a step over parameter which was apparently available in 0.18...

Can't I just copy the library from 0.17 into the 0.18 location?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

The ocl.pyd library has not changed for several years. The same version works in FC 0.17 and FC 0.18.

The Path WB operations that use ocl.pyd have been updated in version 0.18, but the underlying library is the same.

Gene
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

prius06 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:58 pm Can't I just copy the library from 0.17 into the 0.18 location?
Yes, or direct download from here: https://github.com/sgrogan/opencamlib/r ... ag/8612634
GeneFC wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm One problem to be addressed in the near future is that OCL is currently built around Python 2.7. With the upcoming FreeCAD switch to Python 3.x the OCL sources will need to be adjusted.
Ugg :(
GeneFC wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 pm Since the license for OCL has recently been changed to be fully compatible with FreeCAD it should become possible to distribute fully compiled versions of ocl.pyd with FreeCAD.
I will work to include this in the future 0.18-dev versions, I should rebuild to fully respect the license change.
"fight the good fight"
prius06

Post by prius06 »

OK I got the 0.18 3D Surface to "work" but it does not do what I think it should be doing...

My tests were done with the following setup:
Cube 100x100x10 positioned at -50x-50x-x10
fused with
Torus large diameter 20 small diameter 5mm

In 0.17 a 3D Surface path with 1mm end mill looks like this:
Torus17.PNG
Torus17.PNG (93.04 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
The only problem I have with the above functionality is that I cannot change the "Step Over" parameter for a smoother finish.

That parameter is available in 0.18 but...
When I create a 3D Surface path with 3 mm end mill it looks like this:
Torus18.PNG
Torus18.PNG (68.34 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Here is the same path from a different angle
Torus18_2.PNG
Torus18_2.PNG (17.36 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Yes, I can change the "Step Over" and other parameters in 0.18 but the path does not follow that contour of the fusion object at all it just makes straight lines along the stock object.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks