LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Wsk8

Re: LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Post by Wsk8 »

Hello,
I'm also interested in this. Would be great if you could improve it so it will be usable and integrated in FC.

BR
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

It would be great if it were developed further. Could then use it on my lathe under LinusCNC. Can it be integrated into 0.19 afterwards?
dtay

Post by dtay »

This looks pretty cool! I hope to see it progress.

I work with 5 axis millturn machinery and wanted to discuss how to drive tracking points on turning machines. My machines use a fixed set of 9 points. They do not rotate with the tool when a new tool orientation or B-axis position is established.

Bearing in mind the diagram below. I think that point#9 can be used as the master(which will be similar to milling tool paths) and then offset by the tool radius to the respective other 8 points.
Something like P9=path origin + corresponding offset X/Z as a radius:
P1=+X+Z
P2=+X-Z
P3=-X-Z
P4-X+Z
P5=+Z
P6=+X
P7=-Z
P8=-X
P9=0

You will see in the below diagram that each P value has a range of 45° for P1 through P8. If you for example start with P8 and then move the B-axis incrementally to +22.5 degrees, the new tool tracking point will be moved to P3. Does this making sense? I realize that this may be beyond the average hobby lathe, but I think it wouldn't hurt to look a little further down the road ;-)

The purple circle here represents the tool nose radius of a turning tool. The scheme can apply for all types of turning, back turning and grooving.

This is more machine controller specific, but length, radius and Q (or off-center offset) is something to consider.
L=length
Q=Lathe offset(generally 0 when considering milling)
R=tool radius

There are multiple ways to move the tracking points away from center(or machine tool 0) for lathe tools. But "F" or "Q" seem to be somewhat standard for lathe tools. My vote would be for Q.

A grooving tool can have multiple tracking points. For example one side might be -Z(P3) and +Z(P4) for the other side of tool.

There is a lot to think about when it comes to turning on a CNC machine.

Thanks to Dubstar-04 everyone contributing to FreeCAD!

-Danny
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Wsk8 wrote:
blue0cean wrote:
dtay wrote:
Thank you for the replies, it is great to see so much interest for lathe functionality in Path.

I am currently working on some non-lathe related features that I would like to try and get in to 0.19. Once 0.19 is released I will again turn my attention to Lib-Lathe.

Thanks,

Dan
blue0cean

Post by blue0cean »

I'm really looking forward to it. Is there already an appointment for the 0.19?
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

I think somewhere in april, but it's not a fixed date, more like a wish :D

br
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

blue0cean wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 am I'm really looking forward to it. Is there already an appointment for the 0.19?
I think I read on a git comment that the target would be end of March for a feature freeze.

I'm in the process of testing as much as I can and fixing all the things I have broken! :D
jjbazaar

Post by jjbazaar »

dubstar-04
Is there anything I can do to help with the lathe path project?
Thanks
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Pull request #3852.

Please notice that LibLathe cannot be included in FreeCAD as long as its license is GPL2. It must be LGPL2 or compatible, like MIT or BSD.

You could install LibLathe from an external repository at runtime, similar to how the dxf_library is imported in the Draft Workbench. Or you could re-license LibLathe to be LGPL2.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
perfexion

Post by perfexion »

Pinging this thread because I'm interested.

I've been able to get some programs posted from freecad and running on a HAAS TL-1 by basically treating it like a mill, using edge profiles, path arrays, and writing a custom post, but the tool paths are far from optimal.

I'd like to try this library if possible, your tool paths look nicer, but I've run into some issues trying to get a version of this integrated with the latest master branch. The licensing is an important blocker right now and I'm not familiar enough to rewrite as mentioned above.