which postprocessor for mach3 controlled machines

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mclien1

which postprocessor for mach3 controlled machines

Post by mclien1 »

I'm starting to move my development to free software (I'm still using an old VariCAD licence for modelling) and as I'm about to start using a mach3 controlled CNC Mill (owned by a friend), I'd like to spare me the pain to need a windows machine (or an VM or wine) to get the most common estlcam running as my CAM tool.
I have the simple CAM generating stuff learned for a first try. Only thing missing so far is the post processor.
Is there one for the mach3 controllers in existence (I would guess so, beeing a common thing)
And which one would it be?
dubstar-04

Re: which postprocessor for mach3 controlled machines

Post by dubstar-04 »

I'm pretty sure the linuxcnc post would produce code compatible with Mach.

Dan
mclien1

Post by mclien1 »

Thanks for the hint.
Could someone confirm this, just that "pretty sure" don't end up in some expensive accidents at the CNC mill ;-)
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

mclien1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:21 pm Thanks for the hint.
Could someone confirm this, just that "pretty sure" don't end up in some expensive accidents at the CNC mill ;-)
Been using it to control Mach3 for about a year now.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mclien1 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:21 pm Could someone confirm this, just that "pretty sure" don't end up in some expensive accidents at the CNC mill ;-)
Even following Josh's confirmation I would always make a test with a vertical offset and low feed rates to verify, before running generated GCode for the very first time.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mclien1

Post by mclien1 »

Thanks fro all the hints and confirmation.
So I will give that a run the next weeks.
My plan was as follows anyways:
I have a project, where we already milled parts on the machine (some sort of macro plywood, 3 90° layers, 19mm in thickness). Since it is pine we know you can cut through the 19mm in one go (8mm tool, 14000 rotation speed, 3000mm/min horizontal speed, 1000mm/min vertical speed).

So my first run will be 1mm stepdown, with some 300/100mm/min speed with a small testpart.

BTW: the machine has a nice vacuum table for this kind of work. you place 3mm MDF on the table, put you piece of wood on it an cut 0.5mm deeper than the workpiece. So the MDF is to be sacrificed, but last for about 5-10 cuttings.no need for holding taps.
mclien1

Post by mclien1 »

Well, sorry to present my first outcome of the test.
fisrt_try.jpg
fisrt_try.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
There was some problem with the z-axe, which made the machine to go down in -z at full speed to be stoped by the emergency shut off, which was triggered by to much force on the spindel. the tool was placed completly inside the stock material by then.
I guess, I need another postprocessor....
(results of comparing working an my gcode are to follow later)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

mclien1 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 pm I guess, I need another postprocessor....
The postprocessor does not control the commanded motions, it only translates the design information into machine-usable code.

The problem needs to be corrected at the design level, which is the FreeCAD model and Path workbench. It is most likely that the setup for starting position, feed rates, depths, etc. is not correct.

No postprocessor is likely to fix any of those things.

You were advised to carefully precheck the path by simulation or by "air cutting". You really need to do something along that line.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:36 pm You were advised to carefully precheck the path by simulation or by "air cutting".
I have never heard this term before, but it describes very well what has to be done. And before you start, move the milling head as high as possible so you have enough time to stop the machine, if it descends too fast.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
outchips

Post by outchips »

I am sure you already know this, but it took me ages to find out. In order to get circles cut correctly I needed to add
G90.1 G91.1
in the PREAMBLE section. These commands are not in the LinuxCNC files