Attempting to use 3D pocket with complex shape

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PaulWray

Attempting to use 3D pocket with complex shape

Post by PaulWray »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

I posted this first to the users forum. Apologies for cross-posting, but I didn't notice the path forum initially until I heard Sliptonic mention it in one of his videos. Original post here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32207.

I have also tried using 0.18.14790
Hash: 3c048904ffa2372c4670344a33664764fce33fc8
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

I am attempting to use Path 3D pocket for machining the footbed of a clog-style shoe (see link). It did seem to work correctly for me once before, with an earlier model which I have now discarded, and I don't know what I have done differently this time. The path produced for the footbed looks right-cylindrical, ie like a normal pocket, not following the 3D surface. I have used the 'offset' clearing pattern, which I think is what worked last time, although Ive had no luck with other clearing patterns either.
Freecad file on DropBox (1.5 MiB too big for forum attachment !?):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nojwhwml6ltb0 ... FCStd?dl=0
Last edited by PaulWray on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Attempting to use 3D pocket with complex shape

Post by GeneFC »

Dropbox link is broken in message above. The Dropbox file could be found in the previous post.

This is a problem with your forum message, not a Dropbox problem.

Gene
PaulWray

Post by PaulWray »

GeneFC I can see the errors you notified me of, will attempt to fix (no idea how to begin at this stage) and post a new file if that does not help. Thanks for your help
PaulWray

Post by PaulWray »

I find that if I set the start height 1mm below the rim of the pocket, it seems to work OK. (0.8mm will not work for some reason, even though all points on the rim seem to be at the same height.) Hopefully this is will work in the original model.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I see the same behavior.

The 3-D Pocket operation is "experimental", and there may be some remaining bugs. However, I am still concerned with the OCC errors that are showing up in every element of the model.

The 3-D Pocket is expecting to operate on edges, vertices, faces, etc. from OCC functions, and if those are not working correctly then the Path is likely to have problems.

Gene