Pattern Types

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
cwatts90

Pattern Types

Postby cwatts90 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi,

I apologise if I am covering a topic already covered somewhere, I haven't been able to find it.

There are a number of patterns in the path workbench: ZigZag, Offset, Spiral, ZigZagOffset, Line, Grid, Triangle. However, I cannot seem to find one which fits my requirements so this post is two fold:

1) is there a definitive example of all the patterns? What should be expected? When i put spiral pattern, I get two toolpaths round the outside with non in the middle of the toolpiece.

2) If i use offset, I then get the desired concentric pattern (when facing), but I now get unnecessary tool movements, rather than just moving in by the tool step over and continuing, the gcode lifts the tool up, over, and down again, this seems unnecessary and inefficient for a simple facing cut!

I apologise if I am being silly with this, I am only doing simple paths at the moment while I get to grips with this functionality!
Attachments
spiralPath.png
showing spiral path two line edge trim
spiralPath.png (55.57 KiB) Viewed 742 times
facingPath.png
facing path with unnecessary tool movements
facingPath.png (91.87 KiB) Viewed 742 times
CoderMusashi

Re: Pattern Types

Postby CoderMusashi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 pm

I am not sure if this helps but it appears you are wanting to do a pocket path inside your square. Tool paths can be tricky in a lot of cam software and there are tricks of the trade to get the desired outcome you want. Without knowing what it is you are trying to do it is hard to say what tool path or combination of tool paths you should use. Hope to get up a few video examples to supplement the already amazing work sliptonic has graciously put out there for everyone.
cwatts90

Postby cwatts90 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:01 am

CoderMusashi wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 pm
I am not sure if this helps but it appears you are wanting to do a pocket path inside your square. Tool paths can be tricky in a lot of cam software and there are tricks of the trade to get the desired outcome you want. Without knowing what it is you are trying to do it is hard to say what tool path or combination of tool paths you should use. Hope to get up a few video examples to supplement the already amazing work sliptonic has graciously put out there for everyone.
Hi Codermusashi, I am simply trying to face the material! That's why it is so frustrating/confusing, perhaps I should have included more of the job details in the original post.. please see picture below.

You can see the part (I had removed from earlier pictures to try and increase clarity of what I meant). If I switch to Spiral pattern, you get as shown earlier, two lines round the outside. With offset, you get all the way to the middle, but unnecessary tool lifts/movement. It is my first usage of the path workbench, so maybe missing a trick here (more than likely), but I am trying to optimise the tool movements for the operations :)
Attachments
facingpath_job.png
facingpath_job.png (148.09 KiB) Viewed 702 times
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm

If you select the "MillFace" operation in the model tree a large number of parameters will show up in the property panel below the tree. One of those parameters will be "Keep Tool Down", and its default value is "false". Change to "true", and the number of tools retractions will be reduced quite a lot.

Gene
JoshM

Postby JoshM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm

GeneFC wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm
If you select the "MillFace" operation in the model tree a large number of parameters will show up in the property panel below the tree. One of those parameters will be "Keep Tool Down", and its default value is "false". Change to "true", and the number of tools retractions will be reduced quite a lot.

Gene
And run the simulator before using that--otherwise any issues with Heights will run your bit through your stock. Or maybe that's just my experience :oops: ...
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:21 am

Josh,

I left out that part in a misguided attempt at brevity.

There is a reason the default is "false". :o

Gene
cwatts90

Postby cwatts90 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:32 am

GeneFC wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm

Gene
Hi GeneFC,
That appears to have done it! I cant understand why its hidden away rather than prominent in the operations configuration?

Have you got any idea why the spiral only leaves two tool paths on the outside edge?
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 pm

cwatts90 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:32 am
Have you got any idea why the spiral only leaves two tool paths on the outside edge?
No, I never use anything but offset.

Zig-zag does not suit me, and I believe some of the other choices are not fully developed and supported.

Gene
jmr

Postby jmr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 pm

JoshM wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm
And run the simulator before using that--otherwise any issues with Heights will run your bit through your stock. Or maybe that's just my experience :oops: ...
It happens. I believe it is safe as long as all the points on the machined plane have no obstacles in the way. Otherwise...
Certainly not suitable (now?) for using on two pockets at once.

What I find strange is the problem with spiral pattern. Possibly it worked fine for me in v0.16 but not for all shapes. Now it always, or almost always leaves an island, or I am missing something too. I believe it to be the best for some operations, as it needs only one ramp down for each layer, and when starting from inside of the pocket all that follows can have constant (maybe not on the corners) tool engagement. Also with a few tweaks it could incorporate finish pass on the walls of the pocket with no unnecessary movements.
With slow Z setup all of this makes some difference...

Also, is there any reason why I am unsubscribed to a topic after I see the first reply?