Controller wont see my freecad file

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VCWoodworks

Controller wont see my freecad file

Post by VCWoodworks »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and CAD. My experience is from the CNC operator/machinist perspective. I'm using freecad to draw in 3D and trying to upload the files to my "shapeoko 3XXL" machine which uses a GRBL controller. I have changed the file type and extensions between DXF/SVG/NC/EGC/and GC but I can't get the controller to load any of them. Anyone have a suggestion on a possible fix or a direction to look in to find a solution to this issue. Thanks.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Controller wont see my freecad file

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Path forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi VCWoodworks, welcome to the forum.
I assume you have already selected the grbl post processor in the job's output tab. Then you have to export the GCode of your path with the export icon Image in Path workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Perhaps far-fetched, but are you trying to load the FCStd file into the controller?

You did not mention anything about using the Path WB, creating g-code, and outputting the code.

Gene