Post processor (and everything else) structure

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmr

Re: Post processor (and everything else) structure

Post by jmr »

Hi
For sure the drilling op "retract height" should use Safe Height or Clearance Height by default. The expression can not be set in SetupSheet and i think it belongs there.
I like the concept of machine, and at least some of the aspects can be now used with setupsheet or job template. The ToolTable is certainly strongly tied to the machine. I would like to have some default feeds and speeds set in the tool table, more than those not-yet-used geometry fields. I know they are material/job dependent but it would save some clicking and possible mistakes, especially when there are multiple similar jobs. There are reasons for having tool controllers separated for each job, but is it possible to have them linked/cloned or to update together when tooltable is updated (if it ever gets feeds and speeds fields)? For the same material it should make sense to alter the parameters globally - i.e. I'm out of this type of endmill, but here is one of similar diameter, it needs different feed and speed and I need to use it for a few jobs. Normally I would change all of its ToolControllers, or make new ones for another tool and then change them in each operation, or I could alter the tooltable and recompute. Also, a ToolController for finishing pass could use expression modifying the default values. Or maybe (but this seems a bad idea) the default feeds should be somehow integrated in the SetupSheet? OR I could use expression for feeds and speed pointing - where? Maybe for such handy stuff some custom fields can be added in the SetupSheet editor.
There could be also place to set default Step Down or Max Step Down for milling. I'm not sure if that should go to OpDefaults (with option for every operation) or in the tooltable, as some tools can go straight down easier than other.
I hope this opinion can be of any use.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Have you tried to set up a template for this? I haven't used them yet, but from what I have read they are exactly for such presets.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmr

Post by jmr »

Well, thanks. It solves some of my trouble. I tried using it some time ago and I failed because it did not auto append correct extension and then was unselectable... Certainly good for optimizing feeds and speed for given material. Not so sure about the stepdown. If that (or max stepdown) is introduced in the TC then it would be quite enough. I will play a bit more.
And of course the drilling retract height - maybe that is changed already in master, if not, is there any reason it should not be related to "stock z max"? That sound much safer than default 10mm. I often change that to milling_op.finaldepth+n and that saves some time.