Can't disable operation with dress up

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmr

Re: Can't disable operation with dress up

Post by jmr »

Ok.
I agree this is somehow strange, as with other object or groups hiding the top thing is enough to make all content disappear.
Maybe someone will clarify this, who has more general vision and knowledge on how, why it ended up like that, and why not the other way.
Maybe it has something to do with Job object being a different thing that just all it contains. It used to matter if you clicked on the job or a single path when postprocessing.
It would be good to know if it is ok for everyone to have all of the contents of the job visible when the job is made visible, then if one wants to hide parts of it they can just be clicked and hidden. "Hide other paths" would be useful too. This would require the job not to display the code on its own as it is now. Another way would be "hide all" option in menu when right clicking on a Job.

I'm not sure where to look. It is possibly handed in FreeCAD general GUI part, but that is just my suspicion, and I don't know where is that. Some code could be in Path, and if there is a piece that reacts to Job's change in visibility it would be a very nice place to start. Enumerate the operations and hide them.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

jmr wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:41 pm I agree this is somehow strange, as with other object or groups hiding the top thing is enough to make all content disappear.
Hiding is not the same as disabling - this is a constant source of confusion but as a group we have not found common ground on this matter.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We had a discussion about this quite some time ago, but I cannot find it ;) . I remember that sliptonic gave some serious arguments why the behaviour is different in Path, and it was something the future should bring. Now the future might have come or is already becoming the past, so it is sensible to discuss this again.
For me a Job is a similar kind of container like the Part container or a body. The position in the tree supports this view. If I hide such a container everything inside is hidden as well and it seems very natural to me that hiding a Job would hide all of its paths inside.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmr

Post by jmr »

It kind of works that way, if all the operations are hidden. Since they are visible when Job is visible, maybe they could get automatically hidden by default after closing the GUI for that operation? This way if one was working on a path in the gui with the Job hidden, there would be just one path visible. After modification, if they get auto-hidden, we could use the Job container to display all stuff or hide it. Does that make sense? There can be as many kinds of workflow as there are users, or more, but I'm sure we can find a common compromise. Maybe we can have some options in setup to decide what kind of behavior we want.
I'm almost certain that modifying the path context menu will be easy (I mean no-recompilation easy), to just add the option "hide all internals" to bring this to a default state. Any opinion of this?
It is a pain to look for a visible path or stock or whatever just to hide it, when there are more Jobs in a file and I don't know where it is coming from. I just confirmed that new paths are visible by default, I thought it is other way around. If we flip this behavior, is that good enough?