Standardized test shapes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
freman

Re: Standardized test shapes

Postby freman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:56 am

@sliptonic , I just had a look cnctorture and couldn't see how to get the actual files. My instinct was to click on the image to get the details or a FCstd file.

I found you need to click the name but since the HTML does not show the usual colour indication of what is a link, I did not realise until the mouse passed over the name and the underscore jumped out. It would be helpful if the images were active too, or name shows up as a link.

Hopefully this flesh out with some new submissions. It's a good idea.

Do you think the "wall of death" file I posted above is worth adding. Relative arc path are know to be inaccurate is certain cases so this may be useful test of CAD as well a good machine test. It cuts a pocket either side of a circle so theoretically there is nothing left. If there is any play in the machine, this probably won't be the case.
nahshon

Postby nahshon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:37 am

I have some ideas. I still need to get over the technical details of how to add my designs. So far tried the suggested macro to save the images which did not work for me.

Example for 4th axis:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 503 times

This is a 2D example, the challenge is to start with inside cuts so parts should not fall-out before their internal features are complete.
BTW, is there a recommended way to provide processing hints? For example - Here I need to use a 1.5 mm EndMill (or a laser cutter) because a larger tool will surely fail.
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (25.6 KiB) Viewed 503 times
-- Itai
Attachments
Yin-Yang-Example.FCStd
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
helix+cube.FCStd
(292.66 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
freman

Postby freman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am

You can order separate operation by editing the job. So break it down into ops that can be ordered to get the required result.
The classic solution to stop pieces breaking away where there is still work to do is to leaved small tabs of material at the bottom of the cut. Some software offers this automatically but I don't think FreeCAD does.

You would need to stop a bit short on depth, say 1mm, then have separate pocket ops designed to but most but not all of that last mm away.

This is quite a lot of work manually and probably should be integrated into the path if ( assuming it is not already available and I've missed it ).