Standardized test shapes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: Standardized test shapes

Post by freman »

@sliptonic , I just had a look cnctorture and couldn't see how to get the actual files. My instinct was to click on the image to get the details or a FCstd file.

I found you need to click the name but since the HTML does not show the usual colour indication of what is a link, I did not realise until the mouse passed over the name and the underscore jumped out. It would be helpful if the images were active too, or name shows up as a link.

Hopefully this flesh out with some new submissions. It's a good idea.

Do you think the "wall of death" file I posted above is worth adding. Relative arc path are know to be inaccurate is certain cases so this may be useful test of CAD as well a good machine test. It cuts a pocket either side of a circle so theoretically there is nothing left. If there is any play in the machine, this probably won't be the case.
nahshon

Post by nahshon »

I have some ideas. I still need to get over the technical details of how to add my designs. So far tried the suggested macro to save the images which did not work for me.

Example for 4th axis:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (34.44 KiB) Viewed 4160 times

This is a 2D example, the challenge is to start with inside cuts so parts should not fall-out before their internal features are complete.
BTW, is there a recommended way to provide processing hints? For example - Here I need to use a 1.5 mm EndMill (or a laser cutter) because a larger tool will surely fail.
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (25.6 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
-- Itai
Attachments
Yin-Yang-Example.FCStd
(22.65 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
helix+cube.FCStd
(292.66 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

You can order separate operation by editing the job. So break it down into ops that can be ordered to get the required result.
The classic solution to stop pieces breaking away where there is still work to do is to leaved small tabs of material at the bottom of the cut. Some software offers this automatically but I don't think FreeCAD does.

You would need to stop a bit short on depth, say 1mm, then have separate pocket ops designed to but most but not all of that last mm away.

This is quite a lot of work manually and probably should be integrated into the path if ( assuming it is not already available and I've missed it ).
etrombly

Post by etrombly »

Freecad does have holding tags (at least development does, not sure about 18). They are available under Path->Path Dressup-> Tag Dressup.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

They are available since 0.17.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Nashon,

if i look at your first pic, i come in mind that you should look at a mill and think about what can can be done with it... ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
memfis

Post by memfis »

herbk wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:58 pm Hi freman,
i don't know how you get the Operations tree like it is at yor file...

Select the wall of the hole and use the Pocket OP

testpart.jpg
On an example of processing paths from this message I want to pay attention to the painful - operations of selecting round slots. First, the upper groove is selected, the larger diameter. But when you create a path, the program DOES NOT create a path over a future smaller diameter slot, which is located below. I'm sure it's the wrong decision. The whole plane should have been processed and then the next slot would have started from the bottom of the first slot.

If you start the created program "as is", there may be a malfunction when you start processing the center hole (slot).
Attachments
Снимок экрана от 2019-12-16 17-07-05.png
Снимок экрана от 2019-12-16 17-07-05.png (248.04 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For such use cases you better use the Facing operation (probably not available in 0.18):
Snip macro screenshot-084651.png
Snip macro screenshot-084651.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
and adapt the StartDepth of the "all-through" pocket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi memfis,

if you select the sidewall (like sayd before) Path Pocket Op mills the whole area.
pocket_sidewall.jpg
pocket_sidewall.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
Yes, the path for the lower hole starts also at the level which Path presets as Start Depth, but you can change it at the OPs UI.
Gruß Herbert
memfis

Post by memfis »

1.png
1.png (168.48 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
I want so many buttons on the toolbars, too! it's not sporting to talk about the same thing, but different things ;)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18947 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 91f6a5e5ee1b48063d5d4b59cc6250fc2a1021b1
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Russian/Russia (ru_RU)
Attachments