Path Pocket Shape: 4th-axis Integration

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Russ4262

Re: Path Pocket Shape: 4th-axis Integration

Post by Russ4262 »

Morning J.
I'm loading up the model now to attempt reproduction of the behavior. I think the problem may be the same as presented in another recent topic, Bug in Path/Pocket 0.19. I'll take a look.
RatonLaveur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm Hello gents,

A little bit more feedback. Finally confident that I could use the 4th axis integration for actual testing in my 3+2 machine, I prepare a comparatively simple model: a square tip to be cut from square rod.

Fooling around with the options, the use of the Path Pocket shapes moves the model relative to the stock in a funny way. I see no reason why path pocket should move the work piece model that way.

If the problem is has the same root cause, I have a solution already coded, just not isolated and uploaded.

Russ
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

J.,
I was able to reproduce the error. Preliminary results suggest same issue as topic mentioned in previous post.
RatonLaveur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 pm Hello gents, ...
I'll compare the causes to determine if the causes are indeed one and the same. I'm hopeful they are because I have already been working on the solution.

Russ
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hi Russ, sorry if that was a repost. reading the topic you pointed at yields the same conclusion. I don't believe in coincidences. Thanks for looking into it you rock.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Morning All,

I just updated the PathPocketShape and PathAreaOp scripts in the initial post to version 1k-testing. The updates should correct the random repositioning/jumping of the Job model when using Path Pocket operation. The script now creates an additional clone per axis_angle rotation for basis of rotational pockets, then destroys the temp clone used. You will need to re-create Path_Shape operations because the "Use Rotation" property is renamed "Enable Rotation" to prepare for UI integration.

Thanks for the feedback.

Russell
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Thank you russ, can't wait to play with it!
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

RatonLaveur wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:17 pm Thank you russ, can't wait to play with it!
The fix for this issue is included in PR #2231. Please review and provide feedback here or as comments on the PR page.

I'm thankful for the feedback and your enjoyment. Oddly, I don't even have a 4th-axis machine. Furthermore, the machine I have partial ownership of is over at my dad's house. So, I just develop for the 4th-axis.

Thanks J.,
Russell
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hey Russ,

Been playing around with the pocketing and profiling ops on the square tip file attached.

Good news: no jumping around of the model anymore! that's pretty neat. I've tried varied combination of parameters and it seems solved for now, until someone smarter than me complains about it :)

The op paths are, however, not really well placed. I've systematically cycled through the B axis override/reverse direction/reverse angle parameters to eliminate them as possibilities for the mismatch. Something tells me it has something to do with the clones.

I've had one bug so far where a clone appeared and stayed, which I assume to be one of the operations being interrupted mid script. But I couldn't reproduce it.

EDIT: system info

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/Switzerland (fr_CH)

I favor this build because it works well and i use it to work, but it is still allowing me to experiment with the new ops thanks to the community's work.
Attachments
04_ProfileForTipFace.png
04_ProfileForTipFace.png (39.47 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
06_PocketWithBaxisErrorCorrected.png
06_PocketWithBaxisErrorCorrected.png (45.01 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
07_DualFaceProfile.png
07_DualFaceProfile.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
08_DualFaceProfileResult.png
08_DualFaceProfileResult.png (30.93 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
TipCutting.FCStd
(36.77 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by RatonLaveur on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am The op paths are, however, not really well placed. I've systematically cycled through the B axis override/reverse direction/reverse angle parameters to eliminate them as possibilities for the mismatch. Something tells me it has something to do with the clones.

I've had one bug so far where a clone appeared and stayed, which I assume to be one of the operations being interrupted mid script. But I couldn't reproduce it.
I will take a look. I placed a hold on the PR until we figure this out.

Also, what is your FreeCAD system info? Any changes? Please update your previous post with that info.

Thanks for all the feedback, Sir.
Russ
Erich Schulz

Post by Erich Schulz »

Russ4262 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 am I'm thankful for the feedback and your enjoyment. Oddly, I don't even have a 4th-axis machine. Furthermore, the machine I have partial ownership of is over at my dad's house. So, I just develop for the 4th-axis.
awwwww Russ - book your flights to Brisbane and you can help me play with mine when it arrives by boat from China!
Erich Schulz

Post by Erich Schulz »

two things:

I'm thinking this thread could be well captured in the wiki together with the facing operation, so I've integrated it roughly over here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Fourth_Axis

secondly - these pictures are making me dizzy - it looks like these are 5 axis operations - is that correct or am I missing something???