dog-gone dog-bone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: dog-gone dog-bone.

Post by freman »

herbk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:37 pm what happens if you make a new part, only a cube with a hole, and try to create the path for the hole?
I just that a few posts back and uploaded the file, please check back. That really narrows it down to the specific case.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

sliptonic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:42 pm There's definitely a bug if you select the hole and create a PathPocket operation. There's an error in the console and the TC isn't assigned. If I don't select the face and create the operation empty, I can go in and assign the face and the path is generated. Apparently this is related to the new Path Extension functionality. Russ has a PR pending (2231) that helps with this.

Keep in mind if you're running the daily build or building from source that this is very much an active development branch. There's new stuff hitting often right now and things are likely to be broken.

I'm pretty sure there's a bug if you change the TC feed rates. The pocket develops an irredeemable error and I have not fixed it without deleting the part and remaking it. There also seems to be an issue with feed rates not sticking. It seems I'm forever redefining the zeros.

I just tried to cut the gcode from the model I posted for the test piece and GRBL spat it out with tons of undefined feed speeds, so I may end needing to delete all the paths and redo the whole damned thing.

This may be a problem with the gcode processor too, it should not be sending this out for the machine.

Yes, if you just open Tool Manager and OK without change, then open the pocket path and OK without change, it breaks. :roll:

Here is the simple test file I uploaded earlier:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/file.php?id=84921

Here is the test piece which I thought was finished but no F anywhere in the Gcode !
https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/file.php?id=84942

Code: Select all

File "/svn/freecad-build/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathAreaOp.py", line 303, in opExecute
    if obj.UseRotation != 'Off':
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'UseRotation'
I've been seeing this a lot in the last few days.
However, the base contour path does not seem to be affected.
Last edited by freman on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Hmm,

I have no Problem to create the paths ;-)
Path_Test.jpg
Path_Test.jpg (436.54 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
diamond-circ-sqr-2mm-paths_W.FCStd
(807.26 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Path_Test_I.jpg
Path_Test_I.jpg (542.96 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Ok, we can search a faster way to cut it out or take a path to become a higher precision, but i think for now it is ok.

Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks Walter, I managed to get pretty much what I needed, once I found a few bugs to avoid triggering.

Now I'm trying to pin down some of those bugs so that they get fixed.

OK, I did not loose too much on the diamond-circle-sqr test piece. The two pockets for the centre holes got hit as did the base contour. I'm guessing that base contour tool is using a pocket.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

freman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:41 pm ...
I'm guessing that base contour tool is using a pocket.
No... I have done it with 'Adaptive Path'... Plz have a look to the file i uploaded ;-)
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Walter, I was referring to my file and wrote " I'm guessing that base contour tool is using a pocket." As I said I'm trying to pin down some fairly serious bugs in the pocket path tool.

I will look at your file since the paths look a lot tidier than mine. What is your reason for not using the base contour tool?
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

freman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:45 am What is your reason for not using the base contour tool?
I need them. But not to create holes ;-)
The 'Contour' tool are created to cut out parts out of plates...

In a short time i have done my tutorial and there you can see i cut out all the parts with one instruction: The 'Contour'-Tool...
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36516
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I need them. But not to create holes ;-)
We are still talking at cross purposes. Let me rephrase:

What is your reason for not using the base contour tool for cutting the base contour ? The piece needs to be cut out from stock.

I mentioned that the base contour was one of the tools which is displaying the bug and suggested this maybe because it is a special case use of the pocket tool. If not, there are two bugs.

Having hit the bug I am now unable to add a base contour with the base contour tool: it always produces an error on the path. I had to use another tool to replace this path.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

I also don't use the countour tool to create the gcode i post some posts before, because it dos not work. One time the computer hangs and had to be restartet.

But it happens only with your part... I rebuildet something like it (different sizes and i don`t use PartDesgn WB) and don't have the prob with Contour OP, also not with other parts i made.

Edit: Btw.: Which version of FC do you use? I'm asking because if i open your file with

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.5
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

The whole part shows a strange behavior: If i try to add a sketch, it don't open and if i want to make a part visible it dosn't become visible...

If i open it with (same computer)

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.1 (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma5)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16822 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 243aebf2dfbfe192b5bbd067020a5318a0fa8d0d
Python version: 3.7.1
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

the behavior seams like expected (i'm not realy familiar with using PD WB, for that "seams").
Last edited by herbk on Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Herbert
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Hmm, i think your thoughts about the 'Contour'-tool are to complex, freman ;-)

When you think easy and say:
- Contour cut anything out of the stock
- Holes where be cut out with 'drilling' / 'profile on edges' / 'profile on faces' / adaptive path... and so on

then you come fast to an easy path-job as i show above.