dog-gone dog-bone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: dog-gone dog-bone.

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:28 pm Ping. Any ideas?
PR submitted. It's caused by overlapping vertices.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
freman
Veteran

Re: dog-gone dog-bone.

Post by freman »

Thanks to sliptonic for digging into the dog-bone and finding out exactly what part of my design triggered the bug and kudos to 'thunder for finding and fixing it and adding the missing error trapping. Since AreaPy is such a low level function this will add to wider stability.

Since it seems there was no error checking on allocations in this file, maybe it would be worth a note to do an audit of similar foundational geometry files for error trapping on object creation. This could pre-emptively fix other later bugs ( or possibly existing ones ) if there are similar unprotected allocations at this level.

It's nice that my model, designed to be a critical test of hardware accuracy, also tested accuracy in the software geometry. As sliptonic commented earlier, the two are not unrelated.

I have seen a couple of other oddities which were not worth reporting as bugs but it will be interesting to see whether the <= change tidies those up too, once this is merged.