A couple of newbie questions about tool cutting patterns

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

A couple of newbie questions about tool cutting patterns

Post by falviani »

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the cutting patterns available. Please be patient :)

1) Is there a guide suggesting the usage of the various patterns available; i.e. "use pattern xx when you want yy result"?
2) When I cut a pocket using the offset pattern, after each cut the mill was raised to the safe height before starting the next cut. Since I have a small vertical feed while I'm learning, this slowed everything down a lot. Is there a reason for this? And is there a way to alter this?
3) Are the cutting patterns extensible? Is there a location to find additional patterns?

Thanks in advance - Frank
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: A couple of newbie questions about tool cutting patterns

Post by GeneFC »

Frank,

1. That would be really difficult, since the optimum depends on many things that only you control. Material, machine, cutters, desired finish, etc.

2. Many Path operations have a "keep cutter down" option in Property section of the Combo Panel. It does not always prevent unneeded raises, but it helps a lot.

3. I do not believe there are any additional patterns at this time. Indeed, some of the existing patterns are not yet fully implemented.

Since this is open source software everything is extensible. Have fun! :lol:

Gene
falviani

Re: A couple of newbie questions about tool cutting patterns

Post by falviani »

I have SO much to learn!