Facing Help

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
dubstar-04

Facing Help

Postby dubstar-04 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 am

Hi All,

I am having a little trouble getting a facing operation that works for me.
LEAD-IN.png
LEAD-IN.png (70.75 KiB) Viewed 140 times
I generally use larger facemills or a fly cutter to face the part as a first op.

I can't seem to generate the path I am wanting with the current millface, I would like to be able to do the following:

1. add additional lead-in (cutter radius + 10%) to allow the cutter to plunge outside the stock, The existing option 'material allowance' almost works here but it adds material in all directions, in some cases this causes a path that is outside the bounds of my machine travel.

2. I find I get a better finish if i make all the cuts in the same direction, lifting the tool at the end of each pass and rapiding to the start of the next pass.

Is this possible with the current implementation?

Thanks,

Dan

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
DizzyBlank2-CAM.fcstd
(187.77 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mlampert

Re: Facing Help

Postby mlampert » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Facing is the only op which currently takes Stock into account - so you could create a Stock body which matches your machine and facing requirements and use that for facing. Otherwise currently there are only symmetrical allowances in all directions.
dubstar-04

Postby dubstar-04 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Thanks for the response.

Modelling the stock seems a simple solution to providing the lead in. The other issue is that the tool stays down to return to the start of the path rather than lifting before a rapid.

Thanks,

Dan
IMback!

Postby IMback! » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:31 pm

i have this issue to. It almost looks like a bug to be honest, since what is the point of line vs zigzag if line also dose not follow conventional/climb milling parameter.