Hiding Jobs / Ops

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

Hiding Jobs / Ops

Post by dubstar-04 »

I thought I remembered being able hide (toggle visibility) jobs and operations in the past with a press of the spacebar. This doesnt seem to work anymore.

Is that by design?

Thanks,

Dan
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Hiding Jobs / Ops

Post by chrisb »

You have to hide the job and the operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
IMback!

Post by IMback! »

also there seams to be an annoying "feature" that makes the paths visible again when the base object gets updated.

it would also be nice if hiding the job hid everything, like hideing the body in the part design workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

IMback! wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 am it would also be nice if hiding the job hid everything, like hideing the body in the part design workbench.
I would like that behaviour too. For me the Job is like a container holding all the tool controllers and operations to perform a job at the mill.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 am
IMback! wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 am it would also be nice if hiding the job hid everything, like hideing the body in the part design workbench.
I would like that behaviour too. For me the Job is like a container holding all the tool controllers and operations to perform a job at the mill.
Agreed. I was expecting the same behaviour as other FreeCAD elements. I.e.

Toggling the visibility if an individual element should hide or unhide that element.

Toggling the visibility of a parent should hide or unhide all its children.

This would make the path workflow a fair but smoother imo.

Thanks,

Dan
bill

Post by bill »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 am Agreed. I was expecting the same behaviour as other FreeCAD elements. I.e.
Yes, this has been a PATH - "USABILITY" weakness for me, for a long time; lacking propagation of behavior.

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:22 am ...This would make the path workflow a fair but smoother imo....
No doubt!

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:39 pm You have to hide the job and the operation.
This is a PITA!

I have asked in the past to no avail; so I just give up. More people need to chime in and show support for ideas in general; instead of not questioning the supreme overseers; not making waves sort of thing. Sort of like when people were reluctant to merge realTs path.area code; now, look what goodness that guy has bestowed on freecad and they are still reluctant to merge his LINK code. Guess, it is just fear, lack of comprehension, sometimes and the feeling of loss of control.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:46 pm I have asked in the past to no avail; so I just give up. More people need to chime in and show support for ideas in general; instead of not questioning the supreme overseers; not making waves sort of thing. Sort of like when people were reluctant to merge realTs path.area code; now, look what goodness that guy has bestowed on freecad and they are still reluctant to merge his LINK code. Guess, it is just fear, lack of comprehension, sometimes and the feeling of loss of control.
Here you are taking out too big a hammer, especially for the Path forum. Please link the previous discussions.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

bill wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:46 pm
This is a PITA!

I have asked in the past to no avail; so I just give up. More people need to chime in and show support for ideas in general; instead of not questioning the supreme overseers; not making waves sort of thing. Sort of like when people were reluctant to merge realTs path.area code; now, look what goodness that guy has bestowed on freecad and they are still reluctant to merge his LINK code. Guess, it is just fear, lack of comprehension, sometimes and the feeling of loss of control.
Besides the general tone of complaining, this really makes me angry, especially the part about 'supreme overseers'. Can you point to some PRs that have been rejected? Can you point to ANY? I can think of only one case where I pushed back because I didn't think the code quality was good enough and I was more than willing to help the dev improve it.

If you want to see something fixed, by all means, fix it! But don't complain that someone isn't giving you what you want and it's because they're 'supreme overseers'. That's BS.
bill

Post by bill »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:56 pm Here you are taking out too big a hammer, especially for the Path forum.....
You are probably correct hchris!

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:06 pm If you want to see something fixed, by all means, fix it! But don't complain...
Equivalent: code it yourself.

That comment is the single most destructive "clever" saying on the board; Ive never seen it on any other open software project ever!
You obviously dont realize how many contributors toes one walks on when it is used (sometimes too frequent and flagrantly (see: that cat guy) ).

Ive done my 35 years of coding; now I deprecated myself to being just a plain old regular user (and am enjoying the fruits now instead of growing them). Just wish in my last 10 years of coding I could have dug into FC and coded-it-myself.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

bill wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 pm
Ive done my 35 years of coding; now I deprecated myself to being just a plain old regular user (and am enjoying the fruits now instead of growing them).
You're not a plain old regular user. You're a demanding critic sitting in the peanut gallery and complaining that those who are contributing aren't doing it right. I'm glad you're enjoying the fruit though.