finishing pass on pocket 3D

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: finishing pass on pocket 3D

Post by freman »

Yes, I think I said above that the main reason this got done piecemeal was because the stock was not much bigger than the final piece otherwise I would have used a profile.

Now you have both confirmed that I'm not just missing an existing feature or misusing the path tools, I will bring it up on Path forum. Thanks.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

One of my favourite introductions to CAD and CNC machining. Look at 4min55s to see that a stock not much thicker than a part can be machined when using a two halves method.
https://youtu.be/mYfshoR1HgE

Having never seen your stock i tend to believe you, and your case study did point to a potential shortfall of PathWB which is great, nevertheless I hope you like this video as much as a I did.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Path subforum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

RatonLaveur wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:39 pm https://youtu.be/mYfshoR1HgE
Thanks for the video. It gave me a first morning laugh at 8:20 with the smart sandpaper.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, it's been a while since I watched any of old Tony's videos. I love his crazy sense of humour. Plus the fact he's to the point and edits it all tightly so you don't waste 30min to learn something which could be explained in 2 min without the waffle. I tried watching a couple of vids about engraving text strings with FreeCAD and the guys are just crapping on like I dropped round for a coffee. I gave up.

I did not have the luxury of that much metal. Like I said the sloping face was actually the edge of the stock I faced off.

BTW , if you have a link to a good guide on engraving a text string, I did it a few months ago but it was not very intuitive. It was more like following a complex incantation and it worked, but I've forgotten already. I have my text but I can't get a path on it. :?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload the file?
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:46 am Can you upload the file?
There are some files on previous posts.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p327941

I kind of expected featurearea to be able to help here but I have been unsuccessful getting it to work.

Having featurearea create linked clones that can be resized would be a really nice enhancement.

Thanks,

Dan
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:07 am I have my text but I can't get a path on it.
I wanted to look at the engraving issue, but there is no ShapeString in that file.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Sliptonic is active a little on V engraving using OpenVoronoi. My goto move is to use Path From Shape and be done with it.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

RatonLaveur wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:19 am Sliptonic is active a little on V engraving using OpenVoronoi. My goto move is to use Path From Shape and be done with it.
Once you have made a path from shape is it possible to add it to the 'operations'?