Simple engraving question

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Re: Simple engraving question

Post by falviani »

Sorry about that :( The delay in responding is solely due to life happening here...

I created another file in an attempt to just engrave a traced image. Attached is the file and the error log that resulted from trying to execute the engrave operation. I am sadly coming to the conclusion that FreeCAD is not designed to do what I want to do :(
Attachments
ImageTracing_v1.FCStd
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
ErrLog_08-20-19.txt
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Are you trying to do this?
I deleted and recreated the job so the tool and depths might need to be adjusted.
2019-08-20_11-10.png
2019-08-20_11-10.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Attachments
ImageTracing_v1.FCStd
(16.59 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
falviani

Post by falviani »

Yes, I was. And I found a way to do it using the fromshape operation properly (use the linked sketch when setting up the job). I just tried a first version of this on my tiny router and it worked (file is attached). I think I just need to do several more projects to get the workflow solid. I thank you all for your help! :D
Attachments
ImageTracing_v2.FCStd
(318.25 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hello again,

I tried another file to get the process of setting up an engraving job using imported images down, and I'm clearly missing a step. This combines an imported image and a couple of stringshapes that have been converted to sketches, and then the sketches were combined. I then used the 'fromshape' operation, and used the results of that as the model for the job. Looking at the gcode for the engrave operation shows it's empty, but examining the gcode for the pathshape shows the sort of gcode I'd expect. What am I doing wrong (I apologize for not writing down *every* detailed step I took in creating the previous file - maybe then I wouldn't be asking this) And how is the PathShape expected to be used in an operation?

Thanks in advance again. :oops:
Attachments
ImageTracing_v3.FCStd
(188.8 KiB) Downloaded 18 times