how to face mill residuals #0004096

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: how to face mill residuals

Post by freman »

Yes, I agree. It would be good get nomenclature which fits industrial convention. That could be a thread/bug in itself to get things tidied up. It is somewhat a detail but detail matters and it helps if everyone does not have to learn new usage of existing terms for FreeCAD. Wording of hover hints could be improved in many cases and this would make it more intuitive, shorter learning curve and less questions in the forum. I admit I have been confused by many of these terms and what they do. It's usually down to trial an error to see what can be done with them.

If it will be received in a positive spirit aimed at improving FreeCAD ( rather than an ungrateful affront as sometimes seems to happen ) I will open a separate thread about language/nomenclature.

Finishing depth relates to a special case of a rather limited set of cuts which are basically 2.5D plunges of one form or another. In many cases the finish of the depth may not be the surface which is the most important to get a fine finishing pass on. If I profile a hole I'm probably more interested in a precise clean finish on the pocket walls than on the depth. Either two params are needed or one which is applied in all directions.

A second op as a finish may be a reasonable second choice as long as that does not involve 20 min cutting air where material has just been removed. That would be a case for "material allowance" as you defined it above.
freman
Veteran

Re: how to face mill residuals #0004096

Post by freman »

Bug report opened: #4096 , 2^12 , how cool is that?
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

2 cool?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

4K is pretty cool too.