Ticket #4097 - Path Heights and Depths confusion.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Halfa

Ticket #4097 - Path Heights and Depths confusion.

Post by Halfa »

I am starting to look at Path and have no background in CNC or CAM, so by all means take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

For a beginner there are many aspects of Path which are hard to grasp, and one thing I find confusing are Heights and Depths, and I think confusion could be reduced by changing the term "Finish Depth".

It is not a depth like Start Depth or Final Depth, but is a Depth of Cut, or alternatively a Step Down.

My suggestion is to call it either "Finishing Depth of Cut" (which it is), or to tie it in with the Terms "Step Down" and "Final Depth" and call it "Final Step Down".

This is my suggestion based on the image in the wiki.
Heights and Depths 1a.png
Heights and Depths 1a.png (43.1 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
The note at the bottom isn't really needed.

I realise that this means not only changes to coding but also existing documentation, but as Path is in its early stages of development and particularly documentation, if changes are to be made to make Path easier for beginners, the sooner the changes are made, the better.
Unfortunately I cannot help with these changes, but I am attempting to write a tutorial on Path for beginners like myself. I need to learn Path so I can complete the FreeCAD beginners tutorial I am working on.

Halfa
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prepended ticket number to thread title
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path Heights and Depths confusion.

Post by chrisb »

Renaming to "Final Step Down" is indeed clarifying.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

Do I need to follow up this suggestion with some sort of formal suggestion, or is it sufficient that I have brought it to developer's attention.
I don't want to appear pushy. I just don't know what the correct procedure is.

I have several other Path user problems / possible bugs / suggestions etc that I would like to post in the near future, so any advice about correct procedure is welcome.

Arthur
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Ideally, you'd make the code change and send a Pull Request.

If you're not comfortable in code, please create a request on mantis. (Bug icon at the top of this page)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This topic is indeed a good example of the process: You made a well prepared reasonable proposal, not demanding immediate implementation of your personal urgent needs. If the outcome of the discussion is positive, then a bug tracker issue should be created. At least in Path workbench it is sensibele to wait for a developer to comment. In FreeCAD we never start an error report or a feature request by creating a ticket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Halfa wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:51 am Halfa
Agree with @chrisb
@Halfa please feel free to open a FR on our bugtracker and link to this thread and vice-versa
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Halfa

Post by Halfa »

I don't appear to have access to Mantis.
I get the message "Your account may be disabled or blocked or the username/password you entered is incorrect."
As I can log in to post on the forum, I must be blocked or disabled.

Any suggestions?
Halfa
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have to register separately for the tracker. Please use the same username.
Halfa

Re: Path Heights and Depths confusion. #0004097

Post by Halfa »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 am You have to register separately for the tracker. Please use the same username.
Thanks.

https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=4097