FreeCAD and Nomad 883 CNC machine?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frankbuss

Re: FreeCAD and Nomad 883 CNC machine?

Post by frankbuss »

You are right, the problem was the processor. The default processor is "centroid", which looks like it has hardcoded the G20, even if I use mm in my FreeCAD program. When I use GRBL as the job processor, it generates G21.

Should I submit a bug report, or is this problem already known? Maybe would be better to use GRBL as the default processor, if cntroid is broken. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different processors?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As you can see from the names the post processors are for different machine controls. I don't think that centroid is used actively, but if you want to use it, you can set easily to find global variables at the beginning of the file. So it's not a bug, it's just not as convenient as the other post processors.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
frankbuss

Post by frankbuss »

If I set millimeters as the units for my FreeCAD file, and then it generates hardcoded the G20 command for inches, but outputs all numbers in millimeters anyway, this looks like a bug to me :D and easy to fix, too.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

frankbuss wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm If I set millimeters as the units for my FreeCAD file, and then it generates hardcoded the G20 command for inches, but outputs all numbers in millimeters anyway, this looks like a bug to me :D and easy to fix, too.
Not necessarily, the centroid controller might require imperial units, and your FC preference has nothing to do with what your controller does/wants/needs - please have a look at the parameters you can set for the post processors.