Send G-Code via RS-232?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renne

Send G-Code via RS-232?

Post by renne »

Hi,

is there some FreeCAD module to send the G-Code of the Path workbench via RS-232 to a mill?

Thanx for any hint :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Send G-Code via RS-232?

Post by chrisb »

No, not yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
renne

Post by renne »

Which tool (Linux and Windows) do you suggest to send the G-code to a mill via RS-232?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hint to Path/CAM devs:
Qt provides the module QtSerialPort with the class QSerialPort that can be used for this purpose.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

renne wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 am Which tool (Linux and Windows) do you suggest to send the G-code to a mill via RS-232?
I'm quite sure I use a program from DMG Maho. I can check next week; if it still interesting then, ping me.

As we are already off FreeCAD topic: If you have an old machine having something like the Philips or Heidenhain control the hardware is much more important than the transfer program. USB driven adapters often fail, so you should get a computer with a native RS232 interface.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

wmayer wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am Hint to Path/CAM devs:
Qt provides the module QtSerialPort with the class QSerialPort that can be used for this purpose.
Excellent - didn't know about that and I'm sure that'll come in handy. For this particular case it might help the op to write their own post processor since any communication is highly controller dependent (there is unfortunately no standard for exchanging g-code).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Interesting stuff! The whole postprocessor topic could also be something for a GSOC project:
- identify common code in all postprocessors and provide appropriate functions
- provide a guide on how to write a new postprocessor,
- provide a postprocessor generator, which can more easily be configured (I'm not sure if this is possible).
- provide RS232 options
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

An aside, but could this experimental project be related to this subject at all?
https://github.com/prrvchr/USBTerminal
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs