toolmanager bombed out , all tools gone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RatonLaveur

Re: toolmanager bombed out , all tools gone.

Post by RatonLaveur »

I'm still stuck on Qt4 personnaly. Runs flawlessly on my old machine. Qt5 doesn't. Wish there was a Qt4Py3 release. But i don't believe in unicorns.

EDIT: info as per
freman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 am
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/Switzerland (fr_CH)

No graphics card:
2019-10-19_22h18_09.png
2019-10-19_22h18_09.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Only emulation. And I'm stuck at a lower version of OpenGL, which I'm pretty sure is the reason for most of my performance issues with Qt5. Still Qt5 doesn't seem to add all that much (but I'm no expert, so I can only look over the hood) and Qt4 has plenty to offer. Of course the discontinuation of support for Qt4 may be the key (only) driving force behind the switch.
Last edited by RatonLaveur on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, could you post your FC info and graphics card type for comparison?

I think Qt4Py3 would be worth pursuing as py2 goes obsolete. It may have the widest support base and seems to be the highest performance option.
hobbes1069

Post by hobbes1069 »

Just found this thread...

FreeCAD is now built with Qt5/PySide2 on F30 and up. Additionally Coin4 is now used in Rawhide (Future F32). So far the decision has been to not update F30 and 31 because it's a significant update to the Coin3D stack and is discouraged within a release.

I do have versions built with Coin4 in my COPR[1] and as long as you only really use the Coin3D stack for FreeCAD you shouldn't run into any package conflicts but YMMV.

I'm now working on packaging OCCT as OCE has been used but it's getting to old and doesn't seem to be getting any updates since OpenCascade's license change to GPL...

Thanks,
Richard

[1] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... eCAD_NEXT/
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for the system info monsieur le Raton.
No graphics card:
That is the key info I wanted, presumably that means no additional PCI graphics card and using the built-in graphics card on the mobo. The fact that you are on Intel chipset will imply that your GPU is Intel too, not NVidia as mine is.

Fedora gives you the "nouveau" graphics driver as standard and this seems to be heart of constant crashing display issues I've persistently had with all versions of FreeCAD, though I have had zero issues with any other software on this system. It's unclear why FreeCAD is triggering such a mess.

Sadly my GPU is too old to be able to use the proprietory drivers either. So I'm stuck with nouveau or I buy a new computer ( I'm not ready to chuck out this dual core Athlon 3GHz 4GB for one bit of software though ) or install a PCI graphics card with a more recent GPU. This will almost certainly be a powerful device with noisy blowers on it which I definitely to not want. All rather a shame since this h/w is plenty powerful enough to run FC and be quite snappy about it.

The only time it is slow it is a sign that it about fall over. I'd guess it's leaking memory or graphics devices somewhere.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Same here. And i feel like its too bad that Qt5 takes so much more power for what i feel is no improvement. But maybe I don't have the full picture. I'm also entirely against Windows 10 for the same reasons. W7 is plenty of software for anything anyone needs. But well...if FC will be Qt5, adapt or perish i suppose. It just feels too bad that's the price for the real improvement of Py3. Again.. I may be mistaken due to lack of knowledge.
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

hi, dear freman,

I'm newbie to FreeCAD. I also found this strange gaps in "user.cfg" file. Gap line are added everytime FC's run-and-quit, especially when settings were changed by Preferences/Customize during running.
0.16 win64/0.18.4 win64, both official releases, have this issue.
0.19 pre win64, doesn't have this issue.
other version, I haven't tried.

Have you known how to fix this issue?
freman wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:52 pm I've found what looks like an anomalous gap in user.cfg, 30 apparently blank lines. Is this relevant?

Code: Select all

<FCParamGroup Name="FemWorkbench"/>
          <FCParamGroup Name="NoneWorkbench"/>
          <FCParamGroup Name="gearWorkbench"/></FCParamGroup>

<FCParamGroup Name="System">
          <FCParamGroup Name="PathWorkbench"/>
        </FCParamGroup>
      </FCParamGroup>
      <FCParamGroup Name="NavigationIndicator">
        <FCBool Name="Compact" Value="0"/>
        <FCBool Name="Tooltip" Value="1"/>
      </FCParamGroup>
    </FCParamGroup>
    <FCParamGroup Name="Plugins">
      <FCParamGroup Name="addonsRepository">
        <FCBool Name="readWarning" Value="1"/>
      </FCParamGroup>
    </FCParamGroup>
  </FCParamGroup>
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

That issue was corrected in master after I started this thread, IIRC.

I think the bug was non critical in that it did not cause any problems other than the annoying growth of blank lines. I mentioned it because I thought it may be relevant to the Path work bench being rendered useless on default build of FreeCAD by changes this summer, which caused all tools to be unceremoniously and irretrievably dumped. It turned out it was unrelated.

I'm not aware of any way to fix it on v18 , so you may need to ignore it or update to "unstable" v19, unless you want backport the fix. Since it is benign you can probably safely ignore it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

fc_tofu wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:09 pm 0.19 pre win64, doesn't have this issue.
Have you known how to fix this issue?
Just use 0.19!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fc_tofu

Post by fc_tofu »

ok, I see. Thank you and chrisb.
freman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:15 pm That issue was corrected in master after I started this thread, IIRC.

I think the bug was non critical in that it did not cause any problems other than the annoying growth of blank lines. I mentioned it because I thought it may be relevant to the Path work bench being rendered useless on default build of FreeCAD by changes this summer, which caused all tools to be unceremoniously and irretrievably dumped. It turned out it was unrelated.

I'm not aware of any way to fix it on v18 , so you may need to ignore it or update to "unstable" v19, unless you want backport the fix. Since it is benign you can probably safely ignore it.
jmr

Post by jmr »

Hi.
I ran into this, but this is not all.
I'm on slackware 14.2, where i managed to get QT5 working, just to have FlatCAM working. Before this I was using 0.18 from about a year ago, and I was using the same slackbuild. It somehow went ok, but it used the pyside not pyside2, so I got this error. Other than that, it looked like qt5 is working, path wb is working and just the tool table edit showed the symptoms described. The dependencies are all shitty, and my problem is different.
I can't get qt-everywhere-src-5.13.0-rc3 to produce the webkit, which is required by pyside-setup (if I understand it correctly it should build the pyside2).
It is configured and builds, but the webkit is just not there. At qtwebengine subdir, when poking around with make, "make qmake" produces the error:
"C++14 support is required in order to build chromium. QtWebEngine will not be built." this is any kind of info, but gcc 5.3.0 should support this, and configure does not see any problem. What is even more crazy, webkits configure.pri has checks for python version, and "Python version 3 is not supported by Chromium." does not make much sense if I am about to build the webkit to have support for python3...
Any ideas? Anyone using slackware or derivatives? Any working version combination? The compilation takes about two days, and this is just awful.
I already have linuxcnc running on this distro, or maybe should I use another one? If so, which one would not be a huge slow crap, has possible support for 32bit, is linuxcnc compatible and will just support qt5/python3 for fresh FreeCAD build?
Thanks