can't get any op on vertical face.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: can't get any op on vertical face.

Post by freman »

All the Path tools work in XY plane only,
That is consistent with what I suggest above. An edge in the XY plane ( or a face perpendicular to the XY plane ) is sufficient to define the surface to be cut. It is the zero area test which is preventing this from working.

The only change needed is to stop it cutting both sided of the line. This is similar to the profile inside/outside option.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Although i fully agree that we should be able to perform some operations on vertical faces,
How about the combination of deburring path (which i would seriously call path along edge) and array that vertically?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks , that's another interesting work around, though it does seem like quite a lot more effort than having a tool to do the job.

If I did not waste the time I have available for FC on maintenance issues I would be trying to get the profile tool to profile a straight line by skipping the zero area check, since I think this is very close to what is needed. If that works as I expect it would be just a case of cloning profile as a new tool and preventing it profiling both sides of the line.

I may not be best qualified to add a new tool yet but I'd at least like to do the proof of concept test.