I found that my issue was that I was padding my designs in a positive direction, causing the clearance height to be well beyond the Maslow's Z-height threshold. Padding designs in reverse & sticking to default values solved my issue.
Also of note for anyone getting started with FreeCAD+MakerMade/Maslow CNC, don't forget to set your feedrates & rapid mm/s (42 for H & V Feed, 100 for H & V Rapid). After I figured out the Z-height issue, I was wondering why my Maslow stalled before the first cut. Big thanks to Walt_Moorhouse over on the Maslow CNC forums for the FreeCAD guide
which has helped me overcome these issues.