Tools, old Tool, new ToolBit and other fun stuff

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
roerich_64
Veteran

Re: Tools, old Tool, new ToolBit and other fun stuff

Post by roerich_64 »

Hi Dan,

i saw your video and i think the 0,0,0 Point of the bit should be at the lower, center place of the bit...

@mlampert says this point should be on the top of the bit, but for better understanding it were be better on the lower place...
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

roerich_64 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm Hi Dan,

i saw your video and i think the 0,0,0 Point of the bit should be at the lower, center place of the bit...

@mlampert says this point should be on the top of the bit, but for better understanding it were be better on the lower place...
I am currently discussing this with @mlampert.

Thanks,

Dan
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

roerich_64 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm i saw your video and i think the 0,0,0 Point of the bit should be at the lower, center place of the bit...

dubstar-04 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:38 pm I am currently discussing this with @mlampert.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p357390
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

memfis wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:29 am that's how it is, only the tools are not added through the add button and the error is not displayed.
Seems like there is a hole in the process - when you press "Add" it should bring up a file selector for a tool library. Once you've loaded a tool library all you have to do is select the tools you want and then press "OK".

If your tool is not in a library, and you don't want to create a library for a tool, you can use the Menu to "Add ToolController to the Job". A dialog is displayed which lets you select any tool that is already in your document (an easy way to create a second TC for the same tool in case you want to just change the feeds & speeds). However, there are also two buttons on the side which let you "Load..." an existing tool from disk, or create a "New" one on the fly.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

memfis wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am don't ask "how" but cheated - my cutter is the default tool, the path is created, but the visualization doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong?
If by "visualization" you mean the simulator - it is currently not aware of the new tools and the different shapes. This is one of the reasons why we wanted this reality check, there's a lot of work left to do and doing all of that and then realizing that this isn't working for users would be a huge waste.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

roerich_64 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:52 pm Will generate my own ToolBitLibrary. But i can not editing a Tool Bit. When i click on the edit-botton it doese nothing...
ToolLibraryEdit.jpg
That is not the edit button, and it should be disabled currently. That is a button to (in the future) open a dialog which lets you customize the view of the tool library editor/manager. The intent is to allow users to specify which columns they want to see, in which order .... not implemented yet because ... :mrgreen:
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

memfis wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:54 pm Nothing happens to me either when I press this button. Moreover, you can hang on, but not on this button.
I edit simply by opening the file from the Shape folder, then correcting the installation description file in the Bit folder, and after that I add the installation to the library from the Bit folder. Be careful not to confuse the description file with case sensitive letters, which point to the model file in Shape. I suppose that you can use both absolute and relative paths in the description file.

There is no result - yes, the tool has created, I see its real form, it does not affect the form of the created path in any way (and should not), the form of the tool, real, important and necessary for the visualization, which (so far) I have not succeeded.
The tool library editor does not let you edit a "ToolBit". ToolBit's are shared across libraries, so if you add the same tool to two libraries, they literally point to the same tool. An unsuspecting user could modify the tool for one library and think/assume it's a local copy, being unaware that they just changed the tool for all other tool libraries also. In order to minimize such an error tools have their own editor which needs to be started explicitly.

The README.md should describe the process of creating a new tool, withouth having to manually create and edit json files. If that description isn't clear, please help making it clearer by editing it or letting me know how to improve (for all who come after us).
memfis

Post by memfis »

mlampert wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:09 pm
The README.md should describe the process of creating a new tool, withouth having to manually create and edit json files. If that description isn't clear, please help making it clearer by editing it or letting me know how to improve (for all who come after us).
It touches on related issues that I'm concerned about - the necessary amount of RAM and the processor. My 8gb seems to be very good, but... My point is that starting and editing the right tool separately, from a file manager or something else probably requires less resources than starting editing the tool directly from another project where the tool is used.
Besides, it is reasonable - a new milling cutter appeared in the farm = went and created a tool form and a description template file.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

--Longueuil, we have a problem. The filetype is unsupported on my Windows machine. I am not able to open and edit the toolbit files.

Please advise, Longueuil.

Thanks,
Russell

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19127 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ec18f070d13b195d946c3d955d8c21b2e60550e2
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Edit:
I read through README.md file linked earlier in topic. Still confused, but I'll read through again and make another attempt. I may offer a PR to tweak the README file... after I figure it out. LOL :)
Attachments
ERROR: .fctb files not supported
ERROR: .fctb files not supported
19127_ToolBit_filetype_not_supported.png (25.74 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Last edited by Russ4262 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
memfis

Post by memfis »

Russ4262 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm --Longueuil, we have a problem. The filetype is unsupported on my Windows machine. I am not able to open and edit the toolbit files.

Please advise, Longueuil.
It's easy, already discussed - open the file of fcstd tool in a separate window or through a regular file manager. If you use appimage, you should unpack it beforehand. And the description file (parametric) of the tool lies next to it, in Bit, copy any and edit it to your liking.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p357324
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 26#p357233

However, under Win there can be some difficulties.