Machine speed gcode not generated correctly

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Machine speed gcode not generated correctly

Post by falviani »

Hi,

Here is the version info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18750 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a3e88a399fb6395a20f4cf5c7e3ed70e61c9e22f
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I have a small sign that consists of 3 edge profile paths (this performs a 3mm deep endmill cut around the outside of letters). The same tool controller is used for all 3 toolpaths.[bug][/bug] The start/speed command (M3 S1000.0) is generated in the first of the 3 toolpaths but not the 2 succeeding ones. I tried manually removing and resetting the tool controller link in the path data with no effect. This seems to be a significant bug.
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Machine speed gcode not generated correctly

Post by mlampert »

Not sure where the bug is, if you use the same TC then there's no tool change and no change in spindle speed - but I might not understand your setup correctly. Can you post your file?
falviani

Post by falviani »

Each file stops the spindle at the end. I run them manually. Even if they were run automatically with no intervention, not starting the spindle at the beginning of the 2nd and succeeding files is a problem. I have attached the files (after changing the extension - .nc files aren't visible :( ); the 2nd and 3rd files have my manually entered M3 command commented out.
Attachments
FlushTwice_twice_nospeed_v3.txt
(36.39 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
FlushTwice_frame_nospeed_v3.txt
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
FlushTwice_flush_speed_v3.txt
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Some post processors are aware of modal commands. Check if speed belongs to them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

My bad - I was wondering if you could post the FreeCAD file which includes the Job.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please add the FreeCAD file, not the GCode - well, at least we know the post processor).

Edit: heavy crossposting here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

I looked at the GRBL site on Github. Speed does not appear to be in any of the modal groups.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I made a test with grbl with two tools of speed 1000 and I get thw S1000 twice. The grbl postprocessor has indeed a MODAL setting, but it is set to false by default.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18694 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c3ba04183e016e15410d84bae4d00556d22c7da5
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hi,

How do I set that option - I can't find grbl-specific documentation on the wiki :(

I was only using 1 tool for all 3 toolpaths, not 2 tools.

What documentation there is about post processors says the following:
MODAL (True = Allow, False = Suppress), Used to reduce the number of output G-Code lines by stripping Mode information when the Mode is not changing
and I don't understand how that would help generating the speed commands. What did you do to get them?

Thanks - Frank
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

falviani wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:02 pm How do I set that option
You create your own post processor based on grbl and set the variable at the head of the file.

If you want help, why don't you follow mlampert's request and upload the FreeCAD file?