Please Rename: Anyone interested in V-Engraving?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
charles1954

Please Rename: Anyone interested in V-Engraving?

Postby charles1954 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 am

I have hesitated getting away from the "stable" version for now. But I am finding that the most up to date information covers the developmental version. Many of the tutorials fo back several revisions. I opted for the nightly builds on UGS Platform and there are some issues.
I am working today on something that should be very simple, yet I am having difficulty.

1. I opened FreeCad and started a new document
2. I switched to the part design workbench
3. I created a body and then a sketch located in the xy plane.
4. I placed a rectangle on the workspace
5. The rectangle edges were automatically restrained to the x and y axis
6. I made a coincident restraint from the lower left corner of the rectangle and the workspace origin.
7. I placed a 125 mm vertical restraint on the side (y axis).
8. I placed a 150 mm horizontal restraint on the bottom (x axis).
9. This completed the sketch (turned green).
10. I closed the sketch editor.
11. I selected pad from the task window.
12. I entered a dimension of 16 mm.
13. After the sketch was padded I went to the path workbench and created a path job.
14. Under the general tab of the job edit dialog it was already assigned to model body.
15. I proceeded to the output tab where I entered the path and filename for the job
16. I selected GRBL as my post processor and entered no extra arguments.
17. Under the setup tab I repositioned the axis ti the top left vertice of the stock.
18. I selected add in the tool tab which opened the tool library.
19. I selected new tool and input the parameters. I was setting up for a wire brush to clean the surface.
20. I defined it as a fly cutter with a diameter of 1 mm, a flat radius of .5 mm, a corner radius of .25 mm, cutting edge angle 0f 0 degrees, and a cutting edge height of 0.00 mm. I checked its box and clicked on create tool controller. (I didn't notice it at the time but apparently when I closed the tool library all those entered values returned to their defaults. I just tried to re edit those values in the tool manager and they won't stay where I set them)
21. I clicked on OK to close the job edit dialog.
22. I selected the mill face operation. (This seemed appropriate since all I wanted the tool to do was go across the entire face of the stock)
23. I went into isometric shaded mode and selected the top face of the stock.
24. I added this to the mill face base geometry and clicked apply.
25. I went into the depths tab and set the starting depth for 0.0 mm, the final depth for -0.1 mm, the finish depth for 0.005 mm, and the step down for 0.05 mm.
26. I selected the heights tab and entered a saftey height of 25 mm, and a clearance height of 5 mm.
27. I next went to the operation tab. The tool controller was pre selected for the tool I had added. The boundry shape was pre selected as stock. For cut mode I selected climb. For pattern I selected zig-zag. I did not change the angle from 45 degrees and left the step over at 50 percent. I set the stock allowance for 0.1 mm. With the settings entered I clicked apply and OK to close the operation settings
28. I went to the job setup tab and checked the defaults. I attempted to define the defaults but can find no documentation on what values to put in those fields. (This would be a nice place for a drop down menu or tick box selection method)
29. At this point I saved the document and executed the post processor.
30. The g code was produced and displayed as expected. Unfortunately the was no code between the begin mill face operation and the end mill face operation.
31. I have since gone back and added a profile faces operation with the same basic parameters I used for the mill face operation. I again ran the post processor coming up with the same issue, no g code written for either operation.
32. I have now added an adaptive operation and a surface operation. Again executing the post processor produced no g code for any of the operations.

I will attach my files, both the freecad document and the last iteration of g code. For now I will wait to see if you find errors in the way I did this or if it is an issue with the path workbench.

Thank you for the assistance.

Charles
Attachments
2_Vultures_Talking_Facing.zip
(540 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
2_Vultures_Talking.FCStd
(22.93 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
chrisb

Re: Please Rename: Anyone interested in V-Engraving?

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:46 am

I have split this because I cannot see any connection to V-Engraving. Please rename the first post appropriately.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 am

First issue I observed: The tool has a diameter of 0. But even when correcting this, none of the operations worked. Then I removed the whole job and recreated a new one (even restarted FreeCAD). I left everything as is and changed only the post processor to grbl and the tool to 1mm.
With that setup a MillFace operation was successful.

So I would ask you to not give an example where you have changed everything, expecting that people want to fiddle out what the real cause of the failure is. Help the helpers:

- add your full FreeCAD info, see an example below
- start with the default values
- change them step by step until you encounter the errors
- upload the last working state
- explain what to do to get the error

FreeCAD info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18775 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9e93e621f9d5332114d29ea316f27aa6698eb70b
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
charles1954

Issues while trying to perform engraving

Postby charles1954 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:23 am

I am sorry for not adding the Freecad Info. I had just added it in my previous post. I figured everyone would get sick of seeing it. I will add it to each post from now on. I will go back to that file and retry it. Thank you

Charles

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb

Re: Issues while trying to perform engraving

Postby chrisb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:59 am

charles1954 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:23 am
I figured everyone would get sick of seeing it. I will add it to each post from now on.
Don't add it to every post, but once per topic is a good idea, especially if your question concerns workbenches which are currently under development, such as Path or TechDraw.
Even if you have added it in a different topic, please don't expect the forum regulars to keep track of all the different user's version infos.
And there is still renaming the topic open. Please edit the subject of your forst post.

In your first post here you mention to use some nightly builds, yet your version info shows you are still using 0.18. Perhaps you have installed both and you always call the stable?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 am

After correcting the tool diameter, gcode generation of Adaptive goes havoc. This is a well known issue occurring on some systems, so I would recommend to use indeed 0.19.