Looking for an opensource plasma table design

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
sliptonic

Looking for an opensource plasma table design

Postby sliptonic » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:30 pm

The hackerspace that I'm a member of has talked about building a CNC plasma table. I've been searching around and haven't found a design that I really like yet. Anyone have a design that they're happy with? If I can't find an open design that I like, I might try designing it myself and open it up.

We have limited space so a small table is desirable. Besides, I've seen what Colin Furze is able to achieve with the small Swifty 610 in his shop so I don't think a big table is needed.

That said, I really like this design with unsupported Y axis arms. That would let you put larger stock in hanging out either side or use reference marks to make bigger parts in multiple cuts. Even though the gantry doesn't have to carry a lot of weight, I still worry that it would 'sag'.
2x3table50.jpeg
2x3table50.jpeg (240.6 KiB) Viewed 152 times
herbk

Re: Looking for an opensource plasma table design

Postby herbk » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi sliptonic,

yes, this open Y axis is a realy good idea.

If you are worry about the strongnes, just give the L profile a more heigth ore replace it by a U profile or a rectangular tube.

I would not be worry about "saging" if it's in use, but about demages if its not in use, because the open Y-axis rails offer themselves as a handle to...
To save it against demages at unintentional use i wold put in a removable support at the open side.
Gruß Herbert