Help with pocket operation requested

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Help with pocket operation requested

Post by falviani »

Hello all,

My set up:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18842 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2fa9369d4203f33c62afddfbe190bb4e089d1840
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

I am trying to create a project to simplify making a replacable wasteboard for a CNC router I have on order from Sienci Labs. I intend to use a grid of threaded inserts. My plan is to rout 1/2" holes in the 3/4" MDF so I can then remove the wasteboard, manually complete the holes (thus not damaging the table surface) and place the inserts from the underside. I have figured out how to use the array to generate the required circles in the sketch and use them to create the pockets.
The attached project file has been edited several times, so it's larger than expected.
Somehow, I can't get the pocket operation working; my understanding is clearly deficient. I would think that using a 1/4" endmill and the path pocket would just plunge the endmill in as required for each selected bottom face (I generally am very conservative in plunge settings). The generated gcode does absolutely nothing. A drilling operation seemed even less useful. Any help in pointing out what I have overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Attachments
WasteBoardDrillTemplate_pathTest.txt
gcode, with extension changed so I can attach it
(578 Bytes) Downloaded 19 times
WasteBoardDrillTemplate_pathTest.FCStd
(31.58 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Help with pocket operation requested

Post by chrisb »

The diameter of the pocket is the same as that of your endmill. Currently it is not possible to create a millling path for that. What you seem to want instead is a Path drill operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

I tried that with little success, but I'll give it another shot. Probably a wrong setting somewhere.

I can get the path with a smaller endmill, but I'd prefer to do something faster.

Thanks,
Frank
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can select the bottom of the hole - or even better: the bottom edge - and then create the drill operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I opened your file, AFAICT there is a single hole, I was looking for the array but couldn't find one.

Anyway, when you create a new Drilling op, navigate to the "Base Geometry" tab and then press the button "Reset". This will find all holes in your model and generate drilling commands for them. I tried that out and the op seems to do the right thing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mlampert wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:12 am Anyway, when you create a new Drilling op, navigate to the "Base Geometry" tab and then press the button "Reset". This will find all holes in your model and generate drilling commands for them. I tried that out and the op seems to do the right thing.
Yesterday I searched for this function and couldn't find it. Today I can confirm that it works flawless :D .