Adaptove clearing of stock edges

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
monofone1

Adaptove clearing of stock edges

Post by monofone1 »

Hi there,

I have some stocks I like to round the corners with adaptive clearing. My Tool is 16mm cutting height and the stock is 30mm so I need to do it from 2 sides. For this I've made a holder to have the same position even if I turn the stock around.

Here is the setup why I can't use the profiling operation, because of the clamps I can't operate around the stock. What I want, is to only clear the edges ideally with an adaptive operation.
cnc_setup_step.jpg
cnc_setup_step.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Attached is the Freecad file I used to create the path. Thx for any Ideas, I'm out of them at the moment.

Happy chipping

Sören

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18848 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 50f4c012b4d45a4d34055f0be1a48de6e293c9a8
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
bed_step.FCStd
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
RatonLaveur

Re: Adaptove clearing of stock edges

Post by RatonLaveur »

Painters tape and superglue. NYC CNC the Youtube channel has great tips on work-holding with glue.

Alternatively when using wood, you can take a page off Martin's book down at Wintergatan's series on building the Marble Machine X: screw your workpieces down!

Does that help?
monofone1

Post by monofone1 »

Hi RatonLaveur,
RatonLaveur wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:12 pm Painters tape and superglue. NYC CNC the Youtube channel has great tips on work-holding with glue.

Alternatively when using wood, you can take a page off Martin's book down at Wintergatan's series on building the Marble Machine X: screw your workpieces down!

Does that help?
I had the idea with srewing too, but that would damage the surface and I think clamping parts and moving around this clamp should be possible ?!
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

You could use the Boundary dressup to exclude the area of the clamps - make sure you set your Heights correctly to clear the clamps.
monofone1

Post by monofone1 »

mlampert wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:35 pm You could use the Boundary dressup to exclude the area of the clamps - make sure you set your Heights correctly to clear the clamps.
Hey,

yes that was my first thought when I found this by searching the forum for adaptive clearing. But adaptive clearing does not work together with Boundary dressup.

And my thought was that adaptive clearing id the best idea to clear the edges from the outside ...
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Then you cover your work surface with very neatly placed painter's tape, you cover the bottom of your workpiece the same way.
Superglue the whole and machine. Fixture-less machining.

Alternatively you design your clamps in your model but oversized. That way the cutter will fake cut around them with a rather safe clearance.

Alternatively, but I've never ever used it and I'm not sure if this is even still works in current versions, you use the Fixture tool in PathWB. I think it's designed for what you intend.

Alternatively, you use a vaccuum chuck. See "Piersonworkholding".

Honestly I'm not sure that PathWB was designed for this and, to be honest, few CAM machinists that I know of will use this approach of avoiding clamps.
Also, adaptive is nice but profiling might be just the right thing, and a little manual sanding will make your hands smooth.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

monofone1 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:01 pmBut adaptive clearing does not work together with Boundary dressup.
Can you elaborate on that? I haven't used adaptive yet, so I might be missing something.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

RatonLaveur wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:43 pm... and a little manual sanding will make your hands smooth.
Now that explains a lot! :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Adaptive clearing of stock edges

Post by chrisb »

How about such a path?
Attachments
clamping_cb.FCStd
(19.21 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Snip macro screenshot-e4fba1.png
Snip macro screenshot-e4fba1.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Boundary Dress-up does indeed not work with Adaptive operation.

Error message:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/cb/Desktop/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathDressupPathBoundary.py", line 113, in execute
    inside  = edge.common(boundary).Edges
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'common'
22464 <App> Document.cpp(3462): Failed to recompute Unnamed#DressupPathBoundary: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'common'
Testfile attached.
Attachments
BoundaryAdaptive.FCStd
(100.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.