3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature) [Merged]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature)

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:08 pm What "OP" stands for?
Again, please explain what "PR" stands for?
OP = Original Post, the first post in the topic. Sometimes also used for the Original Poster, i.e. the creator of the topic. Alas, in the following post OP seems to be used as an abbreviation for Operation.

PR=PullRequest. This means providing the changes made in the FreeCAD master sources. This will make them available with the next build of the development version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for the latest fix Russ. I've updated and removed any old paths. Looks better.

Look at the attached file. If I change the pad to "reversed" I seem to get return paths INSIDE the stock.
Attachments
135x106-facemill.FCStd
(22.67 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Afternoon Sir,
freman wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:35 pm ... Look at the attached file. If I change the pad to "reversed" I seem to get return paths INSIDE the stock.
Due to unknown and prolonged issues with the Windows nightly builds, I cannot get paths extracted from FreeCAD files half the time. I don't know what the bug is...

Code: Select all

Path workbench activated
Reading failed from embedded file: Job.nc (7236 bytes, 850 bytes compressed)
Reading failed from embedded file: Operations.nc (7236 bytes, 850 bytes compressed)
Reading failed from embedded file: Surface.nc (7236 bytes, 850 bytes compressed)
Nonetheless, what you are experiencing sounds familiar. If a user has a Job based on a source solid, as you do, and updates the source solid, as you did with the reversing of the Pad, then the Job will update the operations in the Job. However, there exists a bug in this process. The Job update fails to update the Stock as well.

So, your fix is to double click on the Job object and click the `Refresh` button in the Stock section of the Setup tab. This should do the trick, re-calculating the Stock, placing it properly around the updated source solid.

Have a great afternoon.
Russ
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Russ4262 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:44 pm You will also need OCL for 3D Surface usage - see the wiki at OpenCamLib.
According to OpenCamLib Wiki: Mac (No entry)

To understand that there it is no support for this module on the MacOS platform?
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I got that same error msg when I opened the previous version of the FCStd file after updating the script.

Having just got what looks like a clean path file , I saved out and restarted FC. I get the same error. So not windows specific.

Wizard shaft module cannot be loaded
Reading failed from embedded file: Job.nc (8002 bytes, 951 bytes compressed)
Reading failed from embedded file: Operations.nc (8002 bytes, 951 bytes compressed)
Reading failed from embedded file: Surface.nc (8002 bytes, 951 bytes compressed)
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

zohozer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:33 pm
Russ4262 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:44 pm You will also need OCL for 3D Surface usage - see the wiki at OpenCamLib.
According to OpenCamLib Wiki: Mac (No entry)

To understand that there it is no support for this module on the MacOS platform?
No, no entry means "no entry" , ie no one has written an entry about it for MacOS. Maybe refer to the OCL project to see if you have something there.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

I do found a compiled OCL library for MacOS, seems to be the 3.7 version. It is this version good enough or I need to compile myself the latest source-code? I am not enjoying compiling stuff as always they are failing for various reasons.

How to install this library on MacOS and how to activate-it in FreeCAD?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:10 pm How to install this library on MacOS and how to activate-it in FreeCAD?
You don't have to install anything. It's all in the dmg. I have a Mac, and it all works out of the box - after replacing the three files.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:00 pm You don't have to install anything. It's all in the dmg. I have a Mac, and it all works out of the box - after replacing the three files.
I can't find any .dmg file. I have found only a "ocl.37.darwin.so" file. Experimenting now. I just dropped this library into the "/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib" folder.

How I can know if it is loaded by freeCAD?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:14 pm I can't find any .dmg file.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
How I can know if it is loaded by freeCAD?
Try in python console

import ocl
if it works, ocl is available.