3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature) [Merged]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Russ4262

Re: 3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature)

Post by Russ4262 »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to look at it this weekend and get back to you. I do appreciate the testing. With such a complex op, this new version will likely need more testing.

Thanks,
Russ
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

RatonLaveur wrote:LHS: the cutting direction being fully parallel to the edge there, the drop-cutter algorithm cannot distinguish it. Similar to waterline being unable to detect a horizontal plane. So technically yes it's "cutting the whole face at once" because the pattern encompasses the edge.
It's indeed not the right tool for that part. But good way to test the algo. If you want a nice finish on this part waterline it.
In fact waterline does not seem to produce anything useful on this model.

I don't know whether that is the expected result.
diamond-circ-sqr-job.FCStd
(43.46 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-waterline.png
diamond-circ-sqr-waterline.png (24.55 KiB) Viewed 906 times
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Russ, one thing here which could be looked at: if I do a path with dropcutter and get a result I like, then I click OK to close the dlg, it starts all over again.

This problem may not be restricted to 3Dsurface but is a problem here due to excessive calculation times. If I just waited over a minute to see the result, I don't want to wait again when I OK it. ;)

In this regard, can something be done to keep track of whether the current path is in a "clean" state or needs recalculating due to parameters having changed?

Also look at ApplyButton enable state. Like very many path tools this only seems to track a small number of relevant parameters. I just submitted a PR to fix this in BoundaryDressup, but this needs cleaning up in nearly all path tools.

It's pretty trivial to connect the various elements' Change events to "setDirty" or whatever and set the enable state on Apply button.

For example , if I change "interval" nothing happens to Apply button state. If I simply enter the Stepover inputEdit it changes Apply button even if I don't edit the value ( this again is not optimal since presumably it will trigger a "dirty" state even though the data has not changed ). Ironically, if I edit interval then click on the greyed-out Apply button, it does start to recalculate the path and enables what was supposedly an inactive button.

This should be triggered onChange not onEnter.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Attached image is at 0.015mm sample interval and 10% step over on a 3.175mm endmill - a fairly moderate resolution.
I'm having trouble getting paths flowing over the base as you did higher up. Am I missing a trick? ( model posted above ).
A part of the new face-selection features added includes a `BoundaryAdjustment` and `RespectBoundary` properties.
I see "Boundary box extra offset" and set both to the tool radius. Stock is also larger by more than half tool rad. I don't see the `RespectBoundary` option.

[EDIT] I realised that RespectBoundary is not presented in the UI, I found it in tree view. It is set to true.

thanks.
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-dropcutter.png
diamond-circ-sqr-dropcutter.png (69.64 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Last edited by freman on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Freman. Regarding Waterline, you need to produce the op and it will only make one layer. Then (and don't quote me on this but i think we can thank Russ for that early last year) in the data tab you can select Multilayer. This should give you a full waterline toolpath.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

RatonLaveur wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:46 pm Freman. Regarding Waterline, you need to produce the op and it will only make one layer. Then (and don't quote me on this but i think we can thank Russ for that early last year) in the data tab you can select Multilayer. This should give you a full waterline toolpath.
Thanks, it's called Layer-Mode, I set to multipass and cut depth =1mm , more credible results. However, it only runs once round the vertical faces, so does not clear the horizontal ones. A similar but complementary problem to the dropcut version.

This will look a lot nicer if Russ is able to use G2,G3 as he is hoping to do.

@Russ, I just went back in to edit this waterline operation and found dropcut direction and the boudary offsets were no longer greyed out as they were initially. I'm guessing that is a mistake.
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-waterline-multilayer.png
diamond-circ-sqr-waterline-multilayer.png (60.78 KiB) Viewed 834 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Regarding waterline not detecting horizontal surfaces, indeed it's the same as dropcutter not detecting vertical ones. It has to do with the approach. I can't yet tell you if it's bad or not to be honest. I feel like V and H walls should be processed by their respective tools of profiling or facing.

If Russ is indeed working on interpolations of segments into actual G2 and G3 arcs, bear in mind that such an effort has wide ranging positive implications, including with Adaptive milling where this topic has been discussed recently.

Best,
J.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I feel like V and H walls should be processed by their respective tools of profiling or facing.
That is the best solution - provided the surface is closed. Sadly, the 2.5D path tools refuse to work if the projection of the surface onto the XY plane does not form a closed area.

There is also their refusal to cut air or unused stock which prevents them from properly clearing up to the edges of faces. Russ seems to have provided a solution to that.

Then there are overhangs which go badly wrong. Drop cutter now handles that better as Russ has shown.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Hello, Sir.
First, thank you very much for the feedback, testing, and great model file. I wanted to let you know I am now making progress on your model. Using it, I have identified a couple bugs in version 9d that are causing the problem, and have yet to identify a few other issues that are causing problems in the Job setup. I think one of the geometry issues detected stems from geometry created with different workbenches. I do know that some of the objects that we think should be the same, regardless of the workbench used, is actually not the case. I'm hoping some of the fixes I am putting in place will better handle differing origin workbenches for the path geometry received in PathWB.
Gauthier wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm ...
It seems to work fine for simple surfaces, but for my complex geometry that I need to mill, it don't work at all :-(
I think the fact that the Job has multiple models is great. I do think that the fact that the second model is a mere mirror of the first model might be causing some issues, but I have yet to verify this. One problem with version 9d might be improper model handling since there are multiple models in your Job. This will be something I will check later.

At the moment, I simplified your Job to just one model so I can limit the problems to a simpler test case. Once I get the fixes for the complex geometry implemented, I will then revisit your original file with the multiple models, and continue testing.

I am making progress! Thanks for the patience and assistance.

I'll keep you posted, as able.

Russ.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Russel,
Russ4262 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:36 am One problem with version 9d might be improper model handling since there are multiple models in your Job. This will be something I will check later.
Just as little hint: There are also problems with other OPs if multiple models are in one Job.
E.g. if i try to get a path for pockets (same size and depth), placed at more then one model, with one OP i get no output. - I have to use a own OP for each model.
Gruß Herbert