3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature) [Merged]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: 3D Surface - Face Selection (New feature)

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:45 am I can't find a way to know what is the corresponding face on the model according to the name on the Base Geometry selection window, in this case "Model-Part.Face26". FaceSelection.PNG
If I select an item in the list, then the corresponding face is highlit in 3D view. However, this sometimes gets out of sync, e.g. if I switch to the tree and swap visibility to and fro.
Important: showing the selection works on the Model-Body, not on Body.
It always works, if I add another face to the selection and switch between entries in the list. I then can remove the unneded entry.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

First real run. FreeCAD it is frozen and using only 30% of the CPU. After a few minutes FreeCAD still frozen. Just needed to close the process. It is possible to have a dialog box that says approximately how much will take to calculate the path? I have no clue what it is happening when FreeCAD it is frozen.
FirstRun.png
FirstRun.png (138.95 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 am I can't find a way to delete the first tool from the tools used in this job.
Not really an issue here.
If I add a second tool the first one is still selected and "Remove" is still insensitive. I have to select the second tool, then "Remove" becomes sensitive and stays so if I switch back to first tool. I then can remove it.

This may be worth a small fix.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20052 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6291921e9abe737e4440ff5814ca58547defadef
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 am If I select an item in the list, then the corresponding face is highlit in 3D view. However, this sometimes gets out of sync, e.g. if I switch to the tree and swap visibility to and fro.
Important: showing the selection works on the Model-Body, not on Body.
It always works, if I add another face to the selection and switch between entries in the list. I then can remove the unneded entry.
Thank you for the tip. Seems that I need to have at least two faces into the "Base Geometry" field to be able to highlight the selected one.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

zohozer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 am Also, it is possible to define the spped parameters in the "Tool Editor" and to be imported these parameters into the corresponding "JobSetup/Tools" fields?
There are old discussions about that topic. Currently a Tool is just like the physical piece of metal with its flutes (and shape). Such tool can be used for different purposes. Depending on the material and other things such as roughing/finishing, coolant, etc. the same tool can be used with different feeds and speeds. So these parameters don't belong to the tool only to its usage, which is described in the tool controller.
However, the understandable wish to reuse a tool controller in different jobs, was heard by the gods of path and they sent out mlampert to give us the "Job template". You can save an existing job as template, and using the template on job creation the controllers will be restored.
So it can be sensible to have a PCB-template having small mills and drills, an aluminium setup, a balsa wood setup, etc. and they all can use the same tools while using different speeds and feeds.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

zohozer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:17 am First real run. FreeCAD it is frozen and using only 30% of the CPU. After a few minutes FreeCAD still frozen. Just needed to close the process. It is possible to have a dialog box that says approximately how much will take to calculate the path? I have no clue what it is happening when FreeCAD it is frozen.

FirstRun.png
Most of this is python code and can be very slow on large or complex shapes.

I would suggest you try simple rectangular blocks or something simple until you at least get a little familiar with using FreeCAD.

Time estimation would be nice but again remember you have chosen to dive in with bleeding edge development on what was, until this morning, not even included in the official source tree. First it needs to work and be tested, then bells and whistles like time estimation will maybe get looked at.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Yeah, it is quite slow. After almost one hour FreeCAD was still frozen. Needed to close. Please can check somebody the enclosed file and see if the top surface of this peace can be mechanised with the "3D Surface" operation? I just need a finish operation that follows the top surfaces and removes any existing material there.
Attachments
Backrest.FCStd
(182.13 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 am Not really an issue here.
If I add a second tool the first one is still selected and "Remove" is still insensitive. I have to select the second tool, then "Remove" becomes sensitive and stays so if I switch back to first tool. I then can remove it.
Thank you. I found that the problem of not being able to remove tools was that they was used by created operations. As soon as I changed the tool on the operation I was able to delete them. I just started learning how to use FreeCAD and the Path Workbench, still a lot to learn.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

zohozer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am Yeah, it is quite slow. After almost one hour FreeCAD was still frozen. Needed to close. Please can check somebody the enclosed file and see if the top surface of this peace can be mechanised with the "3D Surface" operation? I just need a finish operation that follows the top surfaces and removes any existing material there.
I can confirm this.
Also here i can not close the operation.

Testet with:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.20052 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6291921e9abe737e4440ff5814ca58547defadef
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
- TRUE/FALSE of 'UseLegacyTools' are no effect
- delete the JOB and recreate it: no effect

@zohozer:
can we have the 'original' - document to find there an issue?
When not, you can send it with PM?

BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

roerich_64 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:57 pm
@zohozer:
can we have the 'original' - document to find there an issue?
When not, you can send it with PM?
Yes, it is just a .step file imported from Rhino. Maybe it is something wrong with the geometry, or the import process needs some adjustments?
Attachments
Backrest_test.stp
(119.61 KiB) Downloaded 25 times