grbl Post processor for bCNC

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
spanner888

grbl Post processor for bCNC

Post by spanner888 »

Auto add bCNC section blocks for each path operation in the gcode.

This enables bCNC user to easily highlight and move gcode blocks, for example arranging pieces for cutting layout, or dis/enable for optional cut/skip of blocks for example to make simpler tool change process.

There is no change to gcode produced, other than the bCNC comment blocks being added by default, and the standard comments disabled.

These are both controllable by parameters, so potentially this version could replace the standard grbl post processor, albeit with the bCNC option OFF by default.

parser.add_argument('--bcnc', action='store_true', help='output bCNC block headers (default)')
Attachments
grbl_bCNC_post.py
(12.41 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
roerich_64
Veteran

Re: grbl Post processor for bCNC

Post by roerich_64 »

Wow,
many thanks :-)
I also works with bCNC, great tool :-)

BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Thanks.

Yes bCNC is really great. I am surprised a lot more people don't use it for it's gui drag'n'drop gcode editing, which combined with the operation blocks, provide a really easy way to drag things to cut and layout on the bed, as well as easy click de/selection of which operation blocks are to be cut - all without having to re/create many jobs.

All the above is super useful even if you do not use it as a controller/gcode sender and the other CAM generators are highly useful as well.

Yes shameless add for bCNC, just a happy user, not affiliated in any other way :D
Of course also a happy FreeCAD user.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

It looks like your bCNC post is derived from an older version of the grbl post. The regular grbl post has support for units which is pretty important.
Would you consider making your improvements to the base GRBL post and sending a pull request?
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Sure, and in fact pleased to be asked.

So I just make sure (I am a beginner 1x patch submitted, and ignored - dif project), steps I should do are:
  • edit src\Mod\Path\PathScripts\post\grbl_post.py <<This is correct file & version?
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

Added PR.

Feedback welcome, but aim it at a newbie please :)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Looks good to me. thanks for the PR.
Merged.