drawing (engraving) shapes

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pavikpeter

drawing (engraving) shapes

Post by pavikpeter »

Hi all!
I built a simple DVD-ROM based CNC machine similar to this: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... NC-Mach-1/
I use UGS2.0 to send the G-code commands on it and I generate G-code files using FreeCAD.
My first job was a simple text created by using Draft > ShapeString based on this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3h2Hxk8JFo It worked fine.
Now I try to draw different shapes but I got stuck with it. I made a 3D model and put a few shapes on it but no idea how to go on.

What's the usual way to do this? Thanks in advance.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: drawing (engraving) shapes

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A common start is to work through the PartDesign Tutorials.

If you need help you should give us more information:
- a description / image / doodle what you want to achieve
- possibly images or the FreeCAD file of your model
- with a detailed description of what you have done
- Your FreeCAD infos
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pavikpeter

Post by pavikpeter »

I work with the attached part.

First I add a New Job then I chose the Engrave option. I select all the added shapes but when I try to add them to Base geometry it fails.

FreeCAD v0.18 (same story with v0.17)
Attachments
40x40_original.FCStd
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

When you create the Job in path workbench make sure all the check mark boxes are checked for all of your 2D as well as all bodies.
The engraving tool seems to be functioning just fine with your file. I uploaded the file this screenshot was taken from.
Engrave.png
Engrave.png (169.98 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Attachments
40x40_original.FCStd
(46 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The engraving operation is different in that it is rather a 2D operation than 3D. Its origin comes from engraving Draft ShapeStrings which are indeed 2D. Thus you cannot select edges from a 3D model for engraving.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pavikpeter

Post by pavikpeter »

I redesigned my engraving project with Draft workbench (not creating 3D model first). It seems to work. My only problem with it is that the innermost circle runs twice (line 21 and line 49 in the G-code). My question is, how to fix that? I'm interested in a FreeCAD solution not like "delete one of the duplicated lines from the G-code file"
Attachments
32x32_original.txt
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
32x32_original.FCStd
(20.91 KiB) Downloaded 34 times